Concrete IG Pool - tile sides are falling off and the bottom was paint...

Apr 5, 2018
SPRINGFIELD, MO
Concrete pool that has tile sides and had a painted bottom. Paint is removed from the bottom, and the tiles on the side are falling off. The pool is 15x29x4

Was going to patch the tile and repaint the bottom, but now I'm thinking I should just remove all of the tile and resurface the interior of the pool. Should I plaster, use some form of aggregate?

HELP. I have no idea what we are doing... :eek::eek::eek:

I would love to see a pic of this pool. Are you saying the tile goes all the way down the wall to the bottom? That sounds neat!

I will tell you that most of us will say NO to paint. It just does not last as you have found.

Once I see the pool I will let you know what I would do!

Yup - the tile goes all the way to the bottom. Or, it should, if much of it hadn't fallen off. :D

So plaster, pebbletec, something else?

IMG_3913.JPG
IMG_3913.JPG
IMG_3913.jpg

I had my old plaster removed and pebble installed (walls and floor), with tile work on three steps and two benches, and waterline calcium build-up removed, for $9K. My crew was 2 hours away. I don't know why demo'ing your pool would be significantly more labor than mine, they just jack-hammer everything. My pool is 12K gallons.

The plaster bid was around $6500.

Bummer about that tile. Quite unique.

You could almost leave it as is and turn your pool into a giant Space Invaders game! (Sorry, it's late...) ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aquabright takes on the contour of the surface below it. That's why it needs a nice coat of smooth plaster (and maybe other reasons too). It it were sprayed over gunite, the final product, while watertight would not be pleasing to the eye at all.

Aquabright installed quotes will likely be triple whatever the plain plaster only quotes are. Unfortunately it's not a great solution for those renovating due to the usual requirement to replaster first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.