Concrete help - driveway drooping and flooded

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Not a pool topic but looking for someone who knows a lot about concrete. I bought this house a few years ago which is older than I am with an original driveway. Overtime the driveway has drooped slightly with cracks in it and now it floods every time there is a decent shower. Anyone have any ideas on how to improve drainage on the driveway? The water is almost 2 inches thick during a heavy rain. I actually caught ducks swimming in it last year which is a good sign that my driveway has a drainage problem...

Attachments

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
If it’s older than you then it’s time to consider a new driveway. The sub-base is is no longer supporting the concrete and it will just continue to crack and fall apart as water infiltrates it’s into it. You can probably run a French drain and dry well into that grassy area but it will only accelerate the deterioration as the underlying material is eroded away. You could also haul out a submersible pump every time the water builds up and pump it somewhere else. There are sub pumps that can pull on as little as 1/8” of water if they’re level enough.

You’ve got a few more years left on that driveway before it stars looking really bad. If you can’t swing the cost now, then start saving up.

kevinp768

Sep 30, 2018
Wichita KS
Sorry for the late reply. A friend of mine had a driveway that looked similar to yours and he hired a company to come out that specializes in mudjacking. Basically they drilled a bunch of holes through the concrete and injected a mortar underneath to lift the driveway back in place and give it stability. I'm not sure what the cost was but it may be an option for a small area to get you by until you're ready to pour a new driveway.