Concrete footer required?

PoolNewb2

Jul 15, 2020
West Central, FL
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I have a 26' long pan roof being installed. One side is secured to the covered lanai via supergutter and the other side with a post through the edge concrete footer. The backside is secured to the house. The front middle post is secured to the pavers only. Is the middle post required to have a concrete footer under the pavers?

Thanks in advance.

Where are you located in the United States?

Please update your profile with a more specific location. It makes a difference in answering your question. Do you live in Tornado Alley, for example?

Where are you located in the United States?

Please update your profile with a more specific location. It makes a difference in answering your question. Do you live in Tornado Alley, for example?
Live on west coast central Florida area where we do get the occasional hurricane. About an hour from the gulf of Mexico.

The pan roof is about 8x26. I feel it does need it for safety and securing purposes with the weather/winds we can get here.

The screen enclosure contractor the builder uses said to ask the builder about a footer. Before the build, we inquired with another company that said a footer would need to be placed for the middle post.

I reached out to the builder and am awaiting a reply, but wanted to check if anyone here knew, so I have a reply if the builder doesn't want to do it. They would have to remove post, remove pavers, pour footer, replace paver, screw post back in. It took a long time to get pavers due to supply issues and it looks like they were mostly used up.

Thank you.

If you don't pour a concrete footer what would the post sit on and be anchored to?

Is this your pool builder or a house builder? Is he an engineer qualified to comment on structural matters?

Do you need a permit for this construction? Will it be inspected by a local building inspector?

If you don't pour a concrete footer what would the post sit on and be anchored to?

Is this your pool builder or a house builder? Is he an engineer qualified to comment on structural matters?

Do you need a permit for this construction? Will it be inspected by a local building inspector?
There's a concrete footer that surrounds our pool for a post on one end. Currently, the middle post is just anchored to the pavers (no concrete footer). The other roof end is attached to a supergutter that is attached to our covered lanai (no post). I attached a picture for reference.

The pool builder is managing the project and they contracted the screen enclosure/pan roof out to another company.

A permit was required and went through the county. I'm not sure if it required to have an inspector for the scrrn/pan roof specifically.

The pool builder has done a decent job so far considering supply issues. Once supplies were in, work was pretty consistent.

I just don't know why a footer wasn't poured for the middle post before the pavers were placed, unless it is not required? We have been mentioning it throughout the process. We just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Considering that you live in hurricane country I would want that middle post anchored to a footer. I can see that roof becoming a sail in a big storm and lifting off.

@setsailsoon is in your state and may have thoughts on how things are done locally.

Reactions: PoolNewb2
We had an install very similar except the pan roof was only on the end to extend our original patio. I did this as a part of the total screen enclosure and I required a stamped drawing from a structural engineer. They had a "generic" drawing that allowed enclosure contractor to make some adjustments but I paid a couple hundred extra to get my drawing stamped. The new Florida code required a reinforced beam 12"X16" around the perimeter on 3 sides and a structural gutter beam for attachment to the house. As to the post it could be done several ways and one could be load bearing for the hurricane forces and there are several ways that it would not. The only way to know for sure is to look at the structural design drawing. I suspect the integrity of the structure is not dependent on the post and rather the gutter beam that will be used to attach the screen. These structures are now very robust with 8" box aluminum beams heavily reinforced at every joint in the arch. I'll add some photo's later today for comparison.

Chris
*** EDIT*** There are a lot of different ways to do the support beams and they all meet code. You really have to look at your stamped drawing to confirm. There should be a note on the drawing that says something like "location of "X" may be moved by "Y" for install" and "any other changes to be confirmed by engineer" or something to that effect. Any details shown on the drawing such as fastener sizes must be installed as shown to be compliant with the engineer's design. A good county inspector will at least spot-check this but often they don't.

Here is the pan roof section of my enclosure and the post on the left is the only one I have.

1616324591503.png

Here is the post fastener connection to the paver above the beam:
1616324846085.png

Here's the connection at the top:
1616324942075.png

Another view:

1616325035707.png

Attachments

• 1616324786207.png
    1616324786207.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: PoolNewb2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.