Concrete Deck Coatings; Opinions, facts, personal experiences sought!

sacredcow

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi, all... I'm in the process of making improvements to a pool (and house) I've had for less than a year. The cement deck was originally (from the 1980's documents provided) coated with Kool-Deck but I am pretty sure that this coating was gone over multiple times with one or more other coatings of unknown types. I recently did a high-pressure power wash and removed all of the dirt, mildew, and loose coating material and I'm trying to figure out what would be a good choice for a new coating.

I don't think I need any more texture, but I wouldn't be opposed to using such a product if it's something that works well. My key concerns are UV and pool chemical resistance (deck gets lots of sun) and mildew/stain resistance. Durability is great, but I don't have kids so it's not really a high traffic, "lets drag stuff across the cement" situation! I'd also like something tintable, as I have a somewhat specific color in mind (but I'd likely trade that off for a product that hits the other key concerns). A two-step process (color, then seal) is acceptable to me. I'm in Houston, TX so it gets pretty hot, but I'm not really concerned about attempting to keep the cement "cool." I have a shaded area to run to if my feet start to burn! :LOL:

I typically buy paints/stains at Sherwin Williams, but I see their products for concrete/masonry have rather abysmal reviews so I'm hesitant.

I searched the forums here, but would love to get some fresh perspective. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: daverph
Hey SC! :wave: This post has been sitting for a while. Time to get it moving right? Have you settled-in on a product yet? Still need ideas? Hopefully some movement in this thread will generate some ideas from the forum. Keep us posted. Take care. :swim:

Hey SC! :wave: This post has been sitting for a while. Time to get it moving right? Have you settled-in on a product yet? Still need ideas? Hopefully some movement in this thread will generate some ideas from the forum. Keep us posted. Take care. :swim:

Hi, Texas Splash... Sooooooo.... I've put 3 buckets of the "Cool" product in my Amazon cart, along with the sealant they recommend for that product. But at about $700, I haven't clicked the button to commit to the purchase quite yet. The reviews on the product look generally positive and you tint it yourself with a gallon of paint in the color of your choice so that's a plus. As I said, I'm not overly concerned with the cooling claims but this product will supposedly fill in small cracks fairly well and I do have a couple of those. Otherwise, the only thing that's happened since that post is that I finished caulking all of the expansion joints and around the coping with Sikaflex self-leveling caulk (which worked really well). Thanks for kicking the post! I'd still love to hear some recommendations!

Hi, Texas Splash... Sooooooo.... I've put 3 buckets of the "Cool" product in my Amazon cart, along with the sealant they recommend for that product. But at about $700, I haven't clicked the button to commit to the purchase quite yet. The reviews on the product look generally positive and you tint it yourself with a gallon of paint in the color of your choice so that's a plus. As I said, I'm not overly concerned with the cooling claims but this product will supposedly fill in small cracks fairly well and I do have a couple of those. Otherwise, the only thing that's happened since that post is that I finished caulking all of the expansion joints and around the coping with Sikaflex self-leveling caulk (which worked really well). Thanks for kicking the post! I'd still love to hear some recommendations!
Did you put the Cool product down? I was thinking about using the same thing on my new pool deck when we have it installed. I like the idea that I can tint it to the color that I want and also I can make it a two tone after a sprayed on top cote color

Did you put the Cool product down? I was thinking about using the same thing on my new pool deck when we have it installed. I like the idea that I can tint it to the color that I want and also I can make it a two tone after a sprayed on top cote color

I haven't been able to do it yet. Between being out of town for work about every other week and the spring rainy season of Houston, the opportunity just hasn't been there. Maybe Memorial Day weekend? If not, it may have to get pushed towards July, as I'll be on the road much of June.

I haven't been able to do it yet. Between being out of town for work about every other week and the spring rainy season of Houston, the opportunity just hasn't been there. Maybe Memorial Day weekend? If not, it may have to get pushed towards July, as I'll be on the road much of June.
ohhh sounds good. Please if you do get around to getting it done try and remember to share your thoughts with me. That will be very helpful.
Thank you again for responding.

ohhh sounds good. Please if you do get around to getting it done try and remember to share your thoughts with me. That will be very helpful.
You bet! I will certainly post about the experience- the good, the bad, the ugly, and the things that made me have another shot of bourbon! ?

For anyone else who finds this thread in the future, I used Anvil Deck-A-New on the concrete at my house four years ago and it has held up very well so far.

It also had the bonus of filling in all the small cracks in my concrete. There is still one larger crack that wasn't level that it didn't fill, but everything looks way better than it did before.

The key to most coatings lasting long term is the PREP! Follow instructions for whatever you buy very well. A power washer helps clean before hand.

I live in Houston and have a 100 acre ranch west of Houston [ranch for 25+ yrs and homes since 1990).

The real key question to ask is, "When I engage in using this product, how often will I have to do it again to make it look good?" My take is if you have to do it once every 5 yrs, then go for it; once is year or less, chose another option. Also, if you are only talking about 100 sqft, then time is not as big as a factor; 1285sqft w another 255sqft of coping, spa top and sides, scupper and wall tops, wall and scupper sides, etc. Now, if you love to perform maintenance work, tons of the proper preparation work and can do the work at the proper time of the year and like it, then go for it.

As mentioned, preparation and following instructions to the tee is mission critical. When you speak to references, I always ask who did the work and how it was done. I can tell you that applying a saturating coat of outdoor Wet&Forget per directions, then powerwashing 4-5 days later, will end your mold problem...just be prepared that once you paint something, then seal it, that in order to keep it looking nice, you are now in the perpetual "seal game" and possible remove paint too and start all over...

note that if you do this in July, you better do it real early in the morning or w lights late at night. hot concrete and stone surfaces will make your application evaporate, and little to no wind...good luck

Last edited:
I live in Houston and have a 100 acre ranch west of Houston [ranch for 25+ yrs and homes since 1990).

The real key question to ask is, "one I engage in using this product, how often will I have to do it again to make it look good?" My take is if you have to do it once every 5 yrs, then go for it; once is year or less, chose another option. Also, if you are only talking about 100 sqft, then time is not as big as a factor; 1285sqft w another 255sqft of coping, spa top and sides, scupper and wall tops, wall and scupper sides, etc. Now, if you love to perform maintenance work, tons of the proper preparation work and can do the work at the proper time of the year and like it, then go for it.

As mentioned, preparation and following instructions to the tee is mission critical. When you speak to references, I always ask who did the work and how it was done. I can tell you that applying a saturating coat of outdoor Wet&Forget per directions, then powerwashing 4-5 days later, will end your mold problem...just be prepared that once you paint something, then seal it, that in order to keep it looking nice, you are now in the perpetual "seal game" and possible remove paint too and start all over...

note that if you do this in July, you better do it real early in the morning or w lights late at night. hot concrete and stone surfaces will make your application evaporate, and little to no wind...good luck

Thankfully, my deck is not all THAT large. Don't have any walls to deal with, and I'm not planning to coat the cement coping. So all in all, it should be a fairly straightforward job once I have the time to actually devote to it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thankfully, my deck is not all THAT large. Don't have any walls to deal with, and I'm not planning to coat the cement coping. So all in all, it should be a fairly straightforward job once I have the time to actually devote to it!
As expected, this project got moved to July. Today, July the 4th no less.

So after some final power washing last week, the Cool is down!! It was straightforward enough to do, temps were in the 90s so it was hot but bearable with some frequent water and AC breaks.

Attached are the “befores.” There are some sections where I was experimenting with colors. But overall the deck was mostly off white. C214E0DE-7488-42C9-82B1-80AD6FAB55B7.jpeg90641EA0-ED59-4840-9F75-F0B78EF02603.jpeg

As expected, this project got moved to July. Today, July the 4th no less.

So after some final power washing last week, the Cool is down!! It was straightforward enough to do, temps were in the 90s so it was hot but bearable with some frequent water and AC breaks.

Attached are the “befores.” There are some sections where I was experimenting with colors. But overall the deck was mostly off white. View attachment 109625View attachment 109626
And the current state. 2 coats down. Still need to apply the sealant. Tomorrow. F0F2A4D0-7B12-4879-9405-059D2011A112.jpegD2A11019-10A0-4CEA-B8B1-AF21BA4B4607.jpegE5E9A798-D45C-4C5E-9083-80FD996E6D1B.jpeg

That looks great, such an improvement from the before pics!

Was it any more difficult to work with than regular paint?

It wasn't really any different from using paint, but of course it was much more viscous than paint. I followed their instructions to the letter (including having to buy another 3 gallons of paint because the first batch I got had primer in it) and it was relatively simple, however NOT how I really wanted to spend my 4th! LOL

Just finished the 2 coats of Seal Back sealer so I. Am. Finished!!! :cool:

Pleased with how it looks, overall. There are some areas that look as if the coverage wasn't consistent (see in the pics above), but this appearance is due to the inconsistent texture of the deck. If I had wanted this to look absolutely perfect, I would have had to hire someone to grind out all of the old finish and I just didn't want to spend that much $$ right now.

From an application standpoint, I had no surprises. The kit was easy to mix with a drill mixer (but you definitely want a helper with this part). In the larger areas, I used their suggestion of pouring out some of the coating and rolling it out evenly. Other areas, I just dipped and rolled. It dries quite rapidly, so I took breaks between buckets. Their claim that it fills in small cracks? Absolutely true. I had a few small cracks that cannot be seen any longer. As I was cutting in around the coping, I hit these areas with a thick coat and it filled in like self-leveling caulk.

The SealBack sealer was easy to apply as well. I went to Home Depot this morning and bought the cheapest pump sprayer they had, sprayed it on with that, and used a 1/2" roller to spread it out. 2 coats of that went down quickly- it also dries to the touch rapidly and leaves a nice, semi-glossy finish.

I know I wondered how much the color would change from the paint to the mixed product. The answer is "very, very little." I laid the color card on it after the final coat of SealBack, and it matches the card quite well.

So, if it turns out to be durable I will recommend this product 100%. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for your experience this helps point me in the right direction.
No worries... The following day, I put out all of the furniture and umbrellas and let the Great Dane resume his efforts to seek and destroy the Polaris. So far, so good. Haven't seen any issues with adhesion. I have some hibiscus plants nearby and there is also a crepe myrtle on the other side of the fence, both of which drop flowers that tend to stain. I'll be watching to see if these stains rinse off easily, or not. As for the "cooling" quality- We've had some near 100-degree days since and I can walk comfortably on the deck in full sun. But is it better than it was before? I really can't say for sure.

Popping into this older thread for an update and with a question.

What is your opinion of the Encore Cool product after 2 years? In (extended) hindsight, is there anything you would have done differently in the prep and/or application? What cleaning and maintenance is required?

One of my skimmers is set into the deck. Can you fair in the Cool product so that it is very thin where it abuts the skimmer or do you think I would be better off grinding away some concrete around the skimmer?

Thanks.

Popping into this older thread for an update and with a question.

What is your opinion of the Encore Cool product after 2 years? In (extended) hindsight, is there anything you would have done differently in the prep and/or application? What cleaning and maintenance is required?

One of my skimmers is set into the deck. Can you fair in the Cool product so that it is very thin where it abuts the skimmer or do you think I would be better off grinding away some concrete around the skimmer?

Thanks.
Good day to you... Sorry for the delay in response- Been in Louisiana cleaning up Ida's mess.

2+ years, and it is still holding up just fine. After a year, I cleaned it and resealed the surface but to be fair I don't think it really NEEDED it (it was a Covid boredom related project). Earlier this spring, I got out a brush and some diluted bleach and gave the whole deck a swab and it looked like new again. Other than that, I just hose it down for the most part. I did get some iron stains on it (my fault for leaving a plant stand out over the winter), and even those (mostly) came up with some aggressive scrubbing.

The only thing I might have done differently is waited to re-fill the expansion joints AFTER I put down the Cool. I filled those first, and applied the product over them, which worked fine but now that caulking is starting to pull away and shrink a little and it's leaving some small cracks. Prep and application I did per their instructions. Deep clean with some detergent and a good pressure wash. Application was just rolling it down with some thick nap rollers. Be sure that whatever paint you get to add to it does NOT have any primer in it- apparently, that can retard the drying time of the product.

My skimmer is in the deck, as well. I just cut it in with a brush. The product doesn't lay down excessively thick- it's not like Kool Deck. Think of it like thick paint with some sand mixed in it.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Chuck_Davis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.