Concrete above ground

P,

I'm sure it could be done, but I would think the disadvantages would outweigh any possible advantages. At this point I can't see any advantages.

For it to look good, I would think that all the plumbing would have to be inside the gunite shell.
The shell would have to be stronger, because it would not have the ground as a supporting feature.
You'd have to build a deck around most of it unless you just wanted to be able to get in and out at one spot.
The sides would have to be covered in something.. Rock, tile, ??, which would add to the cost.
Just to build it you'd have to construct a form of some type. The ground becomes the "form" for an normal in-ground pool.

There may be a ton of advantages, but I'm not sure what they would be. Let's see if we get some more comments...

Why would you want to do this and what advantages do you see?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Not terrible but expensive. You'd have to have it engineered and would result in a thicker shell with more steel. Then the outside of the pool would need to be finished in addition to the inside.

Are there specific site conditions that would call for this to be a preferred style? Access to the pool would be a little odd perhaps too.

There are plenty of pools like you describe and many much more radical. They may require custom engineering but that is surprisingly inexpensive. A properly constructed gunite pool doesn't rely much on the surrounding soil for lateral support.

Last year there was a pool on here that was on the second story of a house.

Yes, the added information of it only being half in-ground makes it much more common.

Martin- I think I saw a dead flower petal on one of your plants. Can't believe how you've let the place go. [emoji23]
Purple- Definitely do the MK design. I've only recently gotten over my unhealthy obsession with his pool and need a new fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bmoreswim,

Your always so nice. I need to update pics because all the plantings have grown in. I don't want to hijack this thread. This spring I will update and post.

Purple, you have a lot of options.

Well, dang it. A whole day of calling places,and no luck finding a gunite or vinyl builder who is able or willing to schedule a quote. One woman said she could *maybe* get someone out in September to *quote* me but wasn't sure they would take on a small project. One place said they'd try (?) to call back sometime this week or next, so maybe that'll work...I didn't call the fiberglass place because of the horror stories posted here about fiberglass.

Customer service was pretty bad at each place I called--is this just an industry norm or what?

Anyway, I had no idea pool builders were so choosy, but I guess demand must be high. I'll get in line for 2018. Sigh, driveway wading pool, here I come :)

Hopefully there are some more for you to contact. That's frustrating to hear. You're right at the beginning of the builders busy season, so I suppose they could be being picky. A good time to start around here is toward the latter half of the swimming season, which is when you also start to hear radio advertisements from pool building companies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.