Mike saucier

May 18, 2019
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The pool store had me dumping crazy amounts of shock into pool last year.it was calcium hypo and created all sorts of promblems until winter showed up and I gave up. I’m seeing too high of chlorine can damage. Question is what do I look for? I have something on the walls I thought was scale now I’m wondering if it’s something else?

Reactions: Charlie Bezzina
Okay, so those appear to be store tests or something. Not from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C that we recommend and provide advice upon here. Having said that, "if" your CYA is actually 50, you can see on the FC/CYA Levels (SLAM tab) that you can safely be as high as 20 pm. An FC of 8 is nothing to worry about.

Okay, so those appear to be store tests or something. Not from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C that we recommend and provide advice upon here. Having said that, "if" your CYA is actually 50, you can see on the FC/CYA Levels (SLAM tab) that you can safely be as high as 20 pm. An FC of 8 is nothing to worry about.
I do appreciate the advice. Which of these test kits are the easiest to use. My concern is still from last year. I remember adding like 12lbs of cal hypo at one time. What would oxidation look like on the pool walls? Could I have damaged?

The TF-100 (link in my signature) is a great buy. Stocked with Taylor reagents at a better volume and price. As for the oxidation, it's hard to know if it's from the cal-hypo specifically. Gelcoats can at times undergo unexplained changes like a chalky look below the waterline that is not calcium scale. Similar in appearance to oxidation I suppose. You can see my experience below and compare to what you have or may have tried.

The TF-100 (link in my signature) is a great buy. Stocked with Taylor reagents at a better volume and price. As for the oxidation, it's hard to know if it's from the cal-hypo specifically. Gelcoats can at times undergo unexplained changes like a chalky look below the waterline that is not calcium scale. Similar in appearance to oxidation I suppose. You can see my experience below and compare to what you have or may have tried.

These test kits only go up to 10pm. Some of the slams are up to 30ppm. How are you guys measuring these peaks in shocks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike, we would recommend you don't try to do too much based on those test results. Store testing is very unreliable and you could end up doing a yo-yo game with chemicals. You should add some liquid chlorine each day though, about 4-5 ppm worth in your situation. The PoolMath APP can help you with dosage amounts. Once you receive your test kit, post your numbers and we'll get busy with everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.