Compupool SWG

ScottCh

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2014
Gulfport, MS
I've read multiple threads here about issues with salt and temp indicators on these units. I inherited my Compupool SWG with the pool when I bought the house. It worked great for me last year and up until now this year. Yesterday it gave me a low salt indicator, we've had alot of rain so I figured this was reasonable, so i dumped a bag of salt into the pool. After a couple of hours I looked and it was still registering <2500ppm salt (the manual for this unit says it needs to be at 3500). So, stupidly I might add, instead of coming out here and reading I set about taking the cell off to clean it thinking this might be the issue. Well I managed to hose up the cell housing during this process, so that is going to need to be replaced. Needless to say, cleaning the cell did not fix my issue and now I have a leak to boot. At this point in the process I decide to visit tfp.com to see if any of you guys have had similar issues. From what I'm reading it would seem that maybe I need to muck about with the calibration on the unit? What I'm curious about is has this worked for folks long term or is this the beginning of the end for this unit? I don't want to invest money replacing a cell housing when I might be replacing the entire unit within the year.

There are several things that can cause a low salt reading and the fix could be as simple as the pool needing more salt, the cell needing to be cleaned, or the SWG needing a new cell or new board. Is the SWG put back together so you can troubleshoot the system other than having a leak?

The first thing I would do is to measure the salt level and if it is low then add more salt. Do not rely on the SWG salinity level until you can confirm the level with a test.

Was the cell full of scale when you took it apart?

Yes, the unit is back together and, apart from the leak and the low salt over to no water errors, seems to be producing chlorine. Even when the unit is giving a no water error it still appears to be producing chlorine. I run the unit from noon till 6pm. I normally take my daily chlorine readings right before it kicks on at noon so I can get a feel for what the lowest point my chlorine hits and on doing this yesterday it was still at >5ppm on the chlorine test. No, there was no significant scale build up on the cell plates. Everything looked fine. I did contact compupool today. The lady I spoke with asked if the water temp reading had been either 34 or 69 for any period of time. I told her it had been 69 since I first started using the unit last year. She seems to think the cell is starting to go bad. If this is the case I am wondering how long it will be, if ever, that I start to have issues with the control unit and if I would be better off changing out the entire unit or just buy a replacement cell.

For now, get the salt level checked to see if the pool needs more salt to fix the low salt error. Might be time to start budgeting for a new cell or new system, as that is your decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.