Compool 3400 to EasyTouch Upgrade - Heater on Relay?

Apr 15, 2018
San Diego
Hi, I'm hoping someone out there can help with a question I have about the heater on my new setup.

Here is my old setup:
Compool 3400
Two WhisperFlo pumps: Primary one for pool/spa/filtering, and secondary one for spa jets.
Pentair MiniMax XT Heater
Solar heating

My primary WhisperFlo pump broke last week, so I decided to save some electricity and do an upgrade. I purchased the following:
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump
Pentair 521107 ComPool to EasyTouch Control System Upgrade Kit without Transformer
Pentair 520549 EasyTouch Indoor Control Panel for 8 Circuit Systems
Pentair 522104 Screenlogic2 Interface & Wireless Connection Kit

With my old setup, I can see that the FLTR relay was controlling both the primary WhisperFlo and the MiniMax heater (i.e. both are connected to that same relay). Thus, neither had any electricity unless the "Pool" or "Spa" was turned on.

I understand that with the new setup the IntelliFlo pump should have a direct connection to the circuit breaker.

My question is with the Pentair MiniMax XT Heater. Should it remain on a relay controlled by the ET? Or should I simply power it 24/7 also by also directly connecting it to the circuit breaker?

Note that I prefer not to send it electricity unless it is needed, so I'm hoping that I can keep it on the relay. However, I'm a little afraid that, if its not configured correctly, when turning off the heater the ET might turn off the electricity prematurely.

Also, does it matter which relays I should use for what (Ex: AUX1=Spa Jet Pump, AUX2=Pool Light, etc)? Or is the ET pretty flexible in this regard?

I find the manual pretty lacking in this regard, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance to anyone that can help!

Also, a minor side question... Will my 4 button spa-side remote work with the new ET? I thought it should, but I just read on another thread that it might not.

-Mark

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Mark,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your equipment upgrade questions.. :shark:

I can't see any reason not to leave your heater attached to the pump/filter relay... This relay will come on when the pump is supposed to be on, and will only go off when the pump is supposed to be off... So if the EasyTouch has a delay to run the pump for cool down, it will keep the pump on and by default this means that the pump/filter relay will also remain on.

The hard wired spa side remote is nothing but four momentary buttons and an LED.. I can't see any reason it would not work with the EasyTouch..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Apr 15, 2018
San Diego
Mark,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your equipment upgrade questions.. :shark:

I can't see any reason not to leave your heater attached to the pump/filter relay... This relay will come on when the pump is supposed to be on, and will only go off when the pump is supposed to be off... So if the EasyTouch has a delay to run the pump for cool down, it will keep the pump on and by default this means that the pump/filter relay will also remain on.

The hard wired spa side remote is nothing but four momentary buttons and an LED.. I can't see any reason it would not work with the EasyTouch..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
Excellent. Thanks for the quick response!