Completely new and in over my head!

AZnewb

Sep 8, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Hello all! This forum was recommended to me and I'm glad this community exists! My husband and I just bought a new home in Mesa, AZ. The pool was clear and sparkling when we put an offer in on the house, and we think the former owners basically stopped running anything and everything after they accepted our offer. The pool has been sitting un-pumped, un-vacuumed and un-chlorinated for about 6 weeks, and there's green algae growing now (but I can still see the bottom of the pool), and the vacuum is dead (we will be buying a new one ASAP). Being such a newbie, I had the water tested at a pool store yesterday as I didn't really have any other options. The chlorine was at .03, they recommended 2lb Yellow Out,3 packs of shock and as many chlorine tabs as I could fit in the floater (4).

After reading some of the beginning forums here I feel like I may have already messed up :( I will be buying a test kit today. I'm hoping we can get this taken care of in the next few weeks so we can still enjoy the last month or two of pool season.

Welcome to the forum!
Check the package the Yellow Out came in. What is its ingredients?
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further. You can leave in the pucks. That amount will not hurt much. But do not add more.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

% di%Welcome to the forum!
Check the package the Yellow Out came in. What is its ingredients?
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further. You can leave in the pucks. That amount will not hurt much. But do not add more.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yellow out= 90% Di-Ammonium Sulfate and 10% Constituents Ineffective as Adjuvant

Yellow out= 90% Di-Ammonium Sulfate and 10% Constituents Ineffective as Adjuvant
Great. So that will just create CC. The chlorine will consume it.

No potions, just chlorine, until you get your test kit.

Mesa - another 4-letter word for HOT! Ha ha. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

A Maytronics robot would be my recommendation. Call Marina Pool Spa in Denver Co. They can tell you what is available and what will meet your needs.