NOW WITH CONSTRUCTION TIMELAPSE: Completed build in Phoenix, Arizona (Wet Edge Primera Stone, MagicStream Laminars, Inset Spa)

disillusioned

Apr 6, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
By popular demand, here's the timelapse I produced of nearly the entire construction process:

I know this is for Under Construction but I didn't see anywhere for "finally freshly completed" builds and thought I'd post here. I have a timelapse I've been working on from a Nest cam that I'll publish when I'm done. It's pretty neat to watch all the work transform the space.

That was certainly a process! We had to move a gas line which obviously took 6 weeks for SWGas to get around to permitting. Then Covid backed things up further. Dig began on August 17th, 2020, water hit the pool on January 5, 2021.

This is about a 12,000 gallon pool, with about 1k of that the inset spa.

Equipment:
  • 2x IntelliFlo VS
  • 1x IntelliFlo VSF
  • 2x MagicStream Laminars
  • 1x IntelliBrite Pool Light
  • 1x IntelliBrite Spa Light
  • MasterTemp 400,000 BTU Cupro Nickel Heater
  • 1x A&A Water Leveler
  • 1x Intellicenter (the Android app is a bit of a mess, isn't it?)
  • IntellipH
  • IntelliChlor SWG
Finishes:
  • Omez Travertine 18" x 24" 5cm Coping (84 lf)
  • Omez Travertine 6" x 12" 3cm Decking (360 sf)
  • Glass Waterline Tile - Murrine Mosaics - Knighted colorway (it's beautiful)
  • Wet Edge Primera Stone - Basalt color - included a picture of the sample on top of the finished product. Pretty close!
  • Glass pool fence from AquaView (now dubbed "The Birdkiller" by my three year old)
This isn't a huge pool, but we have a historic home that has a Colonial/Neo-Classical look to it and we wanted the pool to be more in line with that. It's 28' x 14', with a bench running the whole length, and 4' - 5' - 4' depth in the pool area, and a small baja shelf at the entrance.

We used a mom and pop PB that's been around for 27 years and work the projects themselves from soup to nuts with their preferred contractors. Their exacting attention to detail was amazing. For this sort of symmetric/geometric look, precision really mattered, and our yard had some elevation issues that they were able to square out impressively. The coping was also a masterfully done job, along with the glass tile. Really incredible work. Working with a PB where they're the only project managers was huge. The owner was so exacting and easily visited 2-3 dozen times throughout the whole process.

The Magic Stream Laminars are fun, though I can see how they might be finicky: already dealing with a tricky "water enhancement" setting on one of them, but should have that addressed. I received plenty of warnings not to allow ANY DEBRIS into them at all.

We're still in startup, so we're observing how the finish settles, since Primera Stone can be finicky, and obviously we can't run heat through it yet, which we're aching to do. Some light trowel marks on the inside corner, which isn't really visible unless you're on the opposite side of the pool and really looking for it. Otherwise, it's a pretty solid finish job as best as I can tell.

Still to do:
  • Fence to block pool equipment. Probably doing some artificial green wall or something simple
  • Turf for the patch of dirt to the right of the pool, and to the two backyard dead patches of grass (not pictured)

Attachments

• PXL_20210112_222054160.jpg
    PXL_20210112_222054160.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 210
  • PXL_20210110_210719299.jpg
    PXL_20210110_210719299.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 207
  • PXL_20210109_025520499.jpg
    PXL_20210109_025520499.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 192
  • PXL_20210109_015932566.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210109_015932566.PORTRAIT.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 195
  • PXL_20210108_210943655.jpg
    PXL_20210108_210943655.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 204
  • PXL_20210108_202825886.jpg
    PXL_20210108_202825886.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 199
  • PXL_20210108_003350409.jpg
    PXL_20210108_003350409.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 186
  • PXL_20210109_025452553.jpg
    PXL_20210109_025452553.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 173
  • basalt-sample-on-finish.jpg
    basalt-sample-on-finish.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Fantastic!!!!! @disillusioned
The water looks great and the laminar fountains are awesome.
Now that you have all that equipment info and pool specifications for "as built" please Create Your Signature with this info so if you have questions in the future - all the info is right there. Also don't forget to include the name of your test kit and hopefully you will use the PoolMath app to track your tests and other related items.
Good Luck.

Oh, I love the diagonal paver layout (the name for that escapes me). Night shots are amazing. And a cool house and a cute kid. I'd say you're doing just fine for yourself!! Congrat's.

You will be forgiven for leaving us out of the build process (we live vicariously!!) once you post the time-lapse. Those are so cool!

What is "Intellicenter with Screenlogic?" ScreenLogic goes with Pentair's EasyTouch controller.

And where did you hide your IntellipH?

What is "Intellicenter with Screenlogic?" ScreenLogic goes with Pentair's EasyTouch controller.

And where did you hide your IntellipH?

See, I thought that was the case, but one of the quotes had both bits of language in so I pasted in the wrong thing. Will edit. It's just Intellicenter.

IntellipH and the IntelliChlor go in at the 28 day mark, good eye!

And yeah, she's all matter-of-fact about it now. "This is the bird killer. It kills birds." Like, honey, geez.

And the diagonal layout word you're looking for is herringbone. We decided to mix it up a bit with that and everyone agrees it turned out fantastic!

Herringbone. That's it. Very nice.

Regarding IntelliCenter... as long as your signature is correct, that's the main thing.

I had asked about the IpH in case it was hiding behind the heater. That's the only place I could stash mine. Muriatic acid fumes will play havoc with anything metal near it. So my location is not ideal, but was my only choice. I'm monitoring the metal near my IpH and it's not yet definitive if there's a problem or not. But the potential is there. Anywho, what I wanted to share:

The farther that thing is away from anything metal the better. If it can only be on your pad, so be it. But one of the many cool features of the IpH is its o-ring sealed lid. That should help with the fumes issue. Another nice feature is its vent port. This will make more sense when you see it. There is a port to which you can attach a 1/4" tube. That port is the vent for the tank, presumably to let air in, and expanding air out, so that the pump can function properly. Well, with that air comes the fumes. So be sure to attached a 1/4" tube to the port and route the other end as far away from everything as possible. That will help minimize (hopefully eliminate) any MA corrosion on surrounding metal.

That said, you're going to love the convenience of SWG and IpH. I barely do anything during swim season.

I like my hummingbirds. I like most of my birds. And if the d--- doves would only sing a different song, even, say, every few days, I'd like them, too. Who, who, who. Who, who, who. Over and over again. Ugh. But it's the woodpeckers that are really asking for it. Pecking away at my house. I live next to a 30-acre oak forest. I have over 60 trees on my property, all shapes and sizes and varieties. There are literally 1000s and 1000s of other places they could peck. Nope, it's gotta be my house. Now, I would never kill a bird, just for being a bird, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Yah, and if I hadn't taken out my lawns recently, I'd be chasin' the neighborhood kids off of it. Ah, the joys of cranky old age!! 🤪

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Which company did you go with? I am looking to get quotes.

We used Roger & Sheri at Hydroscapes. They're amazing and have been doing this for 25+ years. They PM/GC the entire thing themselves, and have a trusted cabal of subs they've worked with for years. They are NOT the cheapest option, but their insane attention to detail and quality was what we really were looking for, and I'm really really glad we went with them. Hydroscapes LLC

Nice! Complete with captions!! Love it.

It kinda looked like they took out too much dirt under the spa, and/or the pool wall just in front of it collapsed, and then they replaced it somehow. Might have been an illusion?

I liked the wandering shade popup over the tile guy.

And the gas line was interesting, too. What was it doing way back in your yard like that?

Congrat's on the new pool.

I got tired just watching all that work. I think I'll take a nap now... 😴

Nice! Complete with captions!! Love it.

It kinda looked like they took out too much dirt under the spa, and/or the pool wall just in front of it collapsed, and then they replaced it somehow. Might have been an illusion?

I liked the wandering shade popup over the tile guy.

And the gas line was interesting, too. What was it doing way back in your yard like that?

Congrat's on the new pool.

I got tired just watching all that work. I think I'll take a nap now... 😴

I think it's an optical illusion.

The house was built in 1921. When it was built originally it was a rectangular neo-classical revival/colonial. The "kitchen" as it was, was right through my foyer straight back. When it was renovated in 2017, they moved the kitchen and added an entire new "wing", making the footprint of the house an L. So the gas line that was previously making its way from the alley diagonally to the center of the house now met the house at the back corner, but it was just encroaching that 5 feet that made moving it necessary, even though the meter was able to stay in the same exact spot.

Oh, and I already HAD a trench there for a 100 ft, 100a service run to my detached garage for my car charger, so they had to make it a bench trench to create enough separation. Then, there's the gas line to the heater basically running the exact same way back again. (They frowned when I suggested they just, you know, connect the heater off the main before the meter...)

• Wow
Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.