Complete Newbie

May 1, 2017
Middleville
I recently purchased my house that came with a pool. I sadly did not any information on the pool and i have never owned one. I have done a bit of research but so many things seem to be contradictory that it is hard to get everything straight.

for the last 2 weeks i have been going to a local pool supply store hoping they could help me get things going the right way. I have now sunk over 200 dollars just trying to get my pool opened and clear to no avail. I am not sure if this is expensive as far as a pool opening goes or not but as I don't have a ton of disposable income to waste. I would rather get it right.

They seem to have helped me balance the chemicals and the water is a more pleasing blue color but my water is very cloudy. I can barely make out anything only about a foot under the water.

My water started off the spring very green and full of leaves. I feel like I have vacuumed out most of the debris but it is hard to tell with out even being able to see if i am mixing it up. Another issue that concerns me is that it feels like i never "have" to backwash. the pressure gauge on my filter never goes up and the water seems to be coming out at a really good pace even after many hours of running. I still backwash it at regular intervals but there isn't much that seems to come out of the drain but cloudy water. I have tried using a clarifier but that made no difference at all.

Here are the only tests I can run at the moment.

Total Chlorine: 5ppm
Free Chlorine: 5ppm
Total Alkalinity: 120ppm
pH: 7
Total Hardness: 250ppm

If there is anymore information that anyone can give me it would be really helpful. I don't have a ton of time for research with work and kids so thanks for any help you can provide.

Hiya Tom :) welcome and congrats on the new house/pool. We can help, and save you beaucoup bucks in the process too I hope!

Take a minute to read this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and this too--> Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Our first piece of advice is to get a test kit. yeah, I know, it costs money ($70) but WILL save you tons, I promise. The pool store obviously doesn't do much for testing as 5ppm is the standard highest reading those cheap tests provide. And you will need to know far more and far more accurately to get the job done and never have to do it again if you maintain it our way.

TFTestkits.net is the source for the TF-100 test kit. Best one on the market and best buy.

We need to know your chemistry levels for:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Then based on your cya level we can advise you on how much *bleach* (yeah, I said bleach!) to use to bring your FC up to algae killing levels.

You need to follow our SLAM procedure: SLAM Process

And if your pressure gauge never moves, its time for a new one of those too. You can get that same place as the test kit.

Holler back with any other questions you have :)

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.