Complete DIY concrete pool

jvaymd

Jan 20, 2020
Cresaptown, MD
So after months and months of work I was finally able to fill our new inground pool. I did not subcontract any of the work out. The pool is concrete with standard white plaster. Though the pool is (obviously) incomplete I wanted to get it to the point of it being filled and used for the last few weeks of warm weather. I am looking forward to getting the coping installed and starting to put our yard back together. I believe we are going to use Eagle Bay Paver "Jefferson" for the coping. I haven't settled on what I'm going to use for the decking yet. When all of the grading is complete the goal is to have patio around all sides of the pool; I have a lot of dirt work to do yet. There is a ton of things I would have done differently simply because of not knowing better; though right now I'm just happy its holding water. Take it easy on me pool pro's!20200820_192358.jpg
20200822_121642.jpg20200820_192334.jpg

WOW! You did all that yourself, huh? I'm impressed! I see one skimmer... how many returns?

Please fill out a signature line (under settings) with information about the pool, its equipment, sanitation method, testing, etc.

Maddie

Reactions: jvaymd
Wow, awesome!!!! Usually "DIY" means you just hire the subs instead of paying a PB to do the same. But you really mean DIY! Congrats. Keep the pic's coming as you progress.

I see lots of toys. Kids I presume. They must be stoked. There's your reward. Nice job.

Thanks for sharing... and welcome to TFP!

WOW! You did all that yourself, huh? I'm impressed! I see one skimmer... how many returns?

Please fill out a signature line (under settings) with information about the pool, its equipment, sanitation method, testing, etc.

Maddie
To clarify, I am a general contractor. I used two of my employees to help on the concrete pour days (and my kind father in law) and a few collective days with doing the plaster and plumbing; though I truly only had help for 7 various work days through the project.
It took me forever and a day too. I started clearing and basic grade work for the pool in late February of this year. That timeframe would never fly if I was paying someone to do it, which, believe me, I would've loved to have been able to just write a check and watch the work from the comfort of my home.
I will upload some more pics of the project at various phases here shorty; I'm going for a swim!

Geez Louise. Right. I didn't put that together. It wasn't just a "simple" dig a hole and fill it with a pool job. Wow, you don't mess around. You had to build the whole pool out of wood first, then a second time!! Yikes. Did you pour the floor later? How does that get tied into the walls (not seeing any rebar in the pic)?

Last edited:
Reactions: borjis
Geez Louise. Right. I didn't put that together. It wasn't just a "simple" dig a hole and fill it with a pool job. Wow, you don't mess around. You had to build the whole pool out of wood first, then a second time!! Yikes. Did you pour the floor later? How does that get tied into the walls (not seeing any rebar in the pic)?
I did pour the floor separately. I did a 10'' grid of #3 rebar pinned into the already poured walls. I also put steel mesh on top of the rebar grid. I chose the same concrete mix specifications (aggregate size, psi, etc.) as was used on the walls for the floor. There was no practical way for me to form it for one pour. If I could have hired a gunite or shotcrete crew I would have considered it, but no one in my area really does it.

Reactions: Dirk
Cool. I really like your giant edge tiles. Haven't seen anything like that before. Less grout, more filling! ;)

Are you planning to continue on here and take care of the water ala TFP?

Cool. I really like your giant edge tiles. Haven't seen anything like that before. Less grout, more filling! ;)

Are you planning to continue on here and take care of the water ala TFP?
Thank you in regard to the tile choice. They are supposed to be pool/outdoor rated and "impervious" to freeze and thaw cycles and resemble Carrera marble. We ran two courses of the blue, beveled edge porcelain tiles to add some color.
Yes, I am planning on taking care of the water the TFP way. We are just starting to get our bearings in regard to water testing and the recommended chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you in regard to the tile choice. They are supposed to be pool/outdoor rated and "impervious" to freeze and thaw cycles and resemble Carrera marble. We ran two courses of the blue, beveled edge porcelain tiles to add some color.
Yes, I am planning on taking care of the water the TFP way. We are just starting to get our bearings in regard to water testing and the recommended chemicals.
I wanted to update the thread to show some of the progress as of late. I almost have the coping completed and have begun the patio.
I will probably spend most of the summer completing it as there will be in excess of 2000 sq ft; I'm slow on non paying jobs lol. I'm looking forward to getting to the landscaping eventually, as our yard looks like a perpetual jobsite.
20210513_195047.jpg20210513_195055.jpg20210513_211250.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.