duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I'm late to the dance, but I want to comment on a couple of posts I've seen concerning DPD powder. Many of you notice the R-870 powder will darken to gray over time and has a tendency to clump. However (assuming you have chlorine in your pool) The solution will turn the same intensity of pink and the result is valid.

If your solution doesn't turn pink simply run the OTO comparator block test........those five drops of R-600 will turn yellow if there is chlorine in your pool The 870 powder turning to gray and clumping bugs us, too but it is the most precise test on the market and that test is essential for the methods we use to manage pools.

We're exploring possibilities for a better test that doesn't increase the cost and we'll keep you posted when we do

Storage conditions help too. The powder is moisture sensitive and, if anyone has ever looked at a Taylor bottle, they are specially designed bottles with an internally contained desiccant layer. The bottle is actually a desiccant. So one solution for folks would be to buy some silica desiccant packs on Amazon (you can get them in quantities of 100 or more for less than $10) and then store the R-0870 powder is a small ziplock bag or plastic food storage container with a few silica packs.

And for goodness sake, keep the test kit indoors in a cool & dry space. Never leave it outside.

Thank you for the post. Since I'm, still new to this can someone please confirm this powder is still good. When I add it to the pool water the water turns pink as it always has. I bought this powder in June so I'm hoping there is still some life in it.
Thanks.
IMG_5573.JPG

Thank you for the post. Since I'm, still new to this can someone please confirm this powder is still good. When I add it to the pool water the water turns pink as it always has. I bought this powder in June so I'm hoping there is still some life in it.
Thanks.
View attachment 458786

I would suggest you look into better storage conditions. See my post above. A cool, dry place indoors, especially in a dark cabinet is best. Also, storing the powder in a small Tupperware tub with dessicating packets will help. Moisture and oxygen are the enemies of the DPD powder. You can buy moisture and oxygen absorbers easily online from Amazon.

Reactions: ojlaw
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.