clueless Newbie needs help with PH

Jun 30, 2011
New to this site have had pool for a month.Our pool is an above ground metal frame pool 12 ft round 3 1/2 tall holds 2500 galoons. Ok so this is what we have been doing. they told me at Leslies to shock after every swim so I have been putting in 3oz of powder shock after every time we swim. I wash the filter every morning with the hose and add a 1" chlorine tab to the filter. We use Photosfree from leslies once a week 1/4 cup and add 3oz of stabilizer and 1/4 cup of chlorine granulars once a week as well. Now I just dump this stuff and stir the pool with a broom stick. I do not have this test kit you are talking about yet I just have those strips yesterday I used one of those and it said my free chlorine was at the max at a 10 and my ph 6.2 the lowest and alkalinity a big 0 stabilizer 30-50. So my question is how do I lower the chlorine and boost the ph and alkalinity.
but our pool is quite clear except for the stupid ants that keep jumping in and a little sand looking stuff each time
I have notice our swimsuits wearing out and some itchy skin I am guess to much chlorine, the guy at leslies yesterday said we should not use those tabs and specially not in the filiter is this true :(

You should stop what you are doing and get a proper test kit like the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Without proper testing you can place yourself at risk if your chlorine is too high and it sounds like it is. We do not recommend using pucks or granulars at this site. We recommend bleach that you can get at your local grocery store. The use of Photosfree is a waste of money. The addition of stabilizer every week is not good without knowing what your CYA level is. The test kits mentioned above will measure CYA level.

I would not swim in the pool until you know exactly what your chlorine level is. Read pool school, while you are waiting on your test kit to come in.

Here is a comparison of the test kits.
The TF-100 is highly recommended.
If you order one, I would suggest in the meantime that you go to a pool store and have them test your water. It's not the most accurate, but it will be a little better than the test strips which can be inaccurate.
Don't buy anything from the pool store, just test it, and post the results here, so those on the board can guide you better.

momto4monkeys said:
Do you have a link to were to buy these test kits thanks. So plain oh house hold bleach and to you just pour this into the pool
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yes, plain unscented regular (don't get splashless either) household bleach. Ingredients = 6% sodium hypochlorite, so read the lable :) They also expire, like milk, so check that, too!
Clorox and walmart Great Value brand are very popular around here.

The fav test kit around here is the TF100 from http://www.TFTestKits.net.
With your smaller pool, you could maybe use the TF50.
Read about the kits, what they contain. Then read the Seasonal/Temporary pool guide (link below) and make your own decision.
Or ask questions and we will help.

pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

In the interim, you can take a water sample to a pool store and post the complete test results here in this thread and we'll help get you started.
You don't need to buy anything from them, tho :wink:

You need to make friends with the PoolCalculator.com. It will be your next best friend :)

As Butterfly said read the Temporary pool guide. IF the TF100 is more than you can afford right now the Walmart HTH 6way is decent for the temporary pools. I'm currently using it and have had good water this summer. For higher chlorine levels I fill half the chamber with chlorine free water and double the reading. I do plan on getting a TF-50 after this season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.