Gold Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello! Hoping for some help here.. We just opened our pool for the first time (well a pool guy did it since we are still clueless). He said the pool was balanced before he left, but that the water level was too low to start the pump.

Fast forward to 4 days later. It is cloudy, has been cloudy since last week. The night we opened we topped off the pool, then started the pump and filter. I've run my dolphin cleaner about 7 times and backwashed the filter twice. The filter psi is 12 and it's been running 24/7 since opening.

I did the Taylor test kits, which I'll repeat again in a little bit:
FC = 21
CC = 4 (!)
CYA = 30
TA = 190 (!)

I was thinking of SLAMing but the FC is already so high, is that OK once I get the pH in line? Any other tips? No sign of algae at this point, just super hazy. I want that TFP! I attached pics of the cloudiness and one clear from last year for reference.

Thank you!
Marcy

Attachments

• clear.jpg
    clear.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 20
  • cloudy2.jpg
    cloudy2.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 20
  • cloudy1.jpg
    cloudy1.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 20

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Stop adding chlorine in any form for a couple days and let the FC drop below 10 ppm. Then test your pH. I suspect it is high.

Then see what the CC is all about. Might be some potion they added. You really should not let the pool opening company add any chemicals.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Marcy, it might also be a good idea to update your signature a bit more with equipment details and your exact test kit. It sure would help us later as we review your posts. We'll help you through the cloudiness, no worries.

missmarcelot

Gold Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Thank you! I haven't added anything and I will hold off on adding anything until the FC tests 10. I'll also add detail to my signature. I appreciate the responses!

missmarcelot

Gold Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Update 6/1 from TF-100 testing. Numbers are getting better, but water is still very cloudy, I don't see any real improvement there.

FC = 9.5
CC = 1.5
TA = 150
CYA = 35
pH = 7.2

Attaching a picture of the Cl/Br test as that is throwing me off a little given the above results, though color was hard to capture exactly in a photo. I'm still pretty new to the testing, but I've been very careful with the drop counting and swirling!

Attachments

• June1.jpg
    June1.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 5

Flying Tivo

Jan 24, 2017
Monterrey, NL, Mexico
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Forget about the OTO test for chlorine. Use the powder. Your levels seam OK, except CC. Stay around 8-9 for a couple of day, it might just be a filter thing. If cc does not clear by then, you will have to SLAM Process.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
I don't see any real improvement there.
Great that the pH is right were you want it.
Treat your CYA as 40 ppm and raise your FC to 16 ppm. Test FC and add liquid chlorine as necessary to maintain 16 ppm. Test and add at least 3-4 times per day.

missmarcelot

Gold Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
It worked, all clear here. you guys are geniuses! thank you for the help :)

Attachments

• CLEAR2.jpg
    CLEAR2.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 6

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
full

Reactions: missmarcelot

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Great Job!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: missmarcelot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

missmarcelot

Gold Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Great Job!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!
done, thanks

• Love
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.