I have been maintaining my own small pool for 43 years with just a FC and pH test kit, using just stabilised chlorine with added algaeside and clarifier, and a 3-monthly dose of “long life algaeside”, without any issues, and constant crystal clear water, but recently my 8,000 gallon pool got out of control. I had to get new tablets for the test kit, and, the original make being no longer available, I got a different make of tablets, which I don’t think give accurate results. As a result, I found myself trying to raise the pH constantly from 7.1 by adding lots of “pH plus” which is Sodium Carbonate. Then I found that I was needing to add loads of Stabilised Chlorine (as I didn’t even possess shock chlorine), struggling to keep the FC level even at 1.5ppm, and the water went cloudy (white). Then, I was away for the weekend, and when I returned the pool was green - the first time this has happened to me in 42 years (I had some issues in my newbie 1st year). From going on the internet, I realised that I probably had too high TA from putting all of the “pH plus” in, and also high Cyanuric Acid from using so much stabilised chlorine, so I bought a “proper” test kit (LaMotte ColorQ Pro7) which measures 7 things, and a load of shock chlorine. The assumptions were right, with TA at 146 and CA off the scale (I have estimated it at about 135, because I drained the pool to 70% and re-filled, and got CA of 95). Having only discovered your excellent website yesterday, I realised that my initial way forward was to dump loads of shock chlorine into the pool, which I did, and my latest readings are: FC and TCL - off the scale (over 10ppm, I estimate 13ppm or more from how much shock chlorine I added), pH=7.2, TA=110, CH=369, CA=82. The water is no longer green, but it is very cloudy still. I have added pool clarifier, and some algaeside (shock dose)(to help keep the algae dead). This was only 8 hours ago. Will the water naturally clear now, and how long will it take, or should I be doing something else? With CA so high, I don’t want to do a SLAM yet as it will use so much shock chlorine. Do I have no alternative but to drain more water and re-fill as the next step?