cloudy water , now its green SOS

rezasaba

Well-known member
Jul 4, 2008
148
NJ USA
#1
can anyone help ?/ 17000 gal. fiberglass pool , the water was cloudy for two weeks now it turned green I have put shock, pouds of it , now i put some 10 gallons of bleach and no results I have brushed the pool everyday pump has been running 24/7 . PH is around 7.2 , alk. is ok ,cyanuric acid is low I have added acid to it yesterday , no result yet. anyone has any suggestion? Thanx :(
 

Butterfly

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2007
10,045
South Carolina
#2
It would be very helpful if you could post a full set of test numbers.

Also, you should read the first two articles in Pool School (top of page in sub-heading) and link in my sig.

Without the numbers, we'd just be guessing.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:
 

rezasaba

Well-known member
Jul 4, 2008
148
NJ USA
#3
jjparrish said:
It would be very helpful if you could post a full set of test numbers.

Also, you should read the first two articles in Pool School (top of page in sub-heading) and link in my sig.

Without the numbers, we'd just be guessing.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:
location is NJ. In ground Fiberglass pool and have a Sand Filter ,3/4 HP pump
Ok i got some #s here
Hardness 250
TC 3
FC 3
PH 6.8
TA 80
CYANURIC 0
Water Temp. 78 F
water Color Green not sure what to do at this point ? Thanx
 

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
4,160
Coastalish 'down easter'
#4
Hi :wave: and welcome to TFP!! Though I've long since moved out of NJ, I grew up there and would like to help another Garden Stater :)

How are you testing the water? Though your cl looks good from what you posted, I don't think it's right :eek: . The most probable cause for the green water would be algae (though lots of copper in the water could be the cause) and if you have algae, you are going to have CC and therefore your FC CAN'T = TC. How do you chlorinate the pool? - If you truly have 0 cya you'll want to add some (30 - 50ppm is the usual recommendation )

Just a little food for thought. Please read Pool School - therein you will find many answers to basic pool questions :)

I hope that you can get this problem taken care of, if you need any more help, simply ask and someone here will answer :goodjob:
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
#5
With cyanuric acid (CYA) levels near zero, you lose chlorine to sunlight very quickly. Because of that it is easiest to fight algae in the evenings until you can get the CYA level up to the 30-50 range.

Your PH is a bit low at 6.8. You should bring that up to at least 7.2.

The key to fighting algae is to give it some concentrated attention, adding chlorine every hour or so, for several hours in the evening. You want to bring the FC level up to between 10 and 15 as frequently as possible, up to every half hour, for several hours one evening, and then maintain it around there each morning and evening till the water clears up. This is simplest to do with a good test kit. Without the good test kit you need to do a little guess work and use a little extra chlorine.

For more information on fighting algae see this article at Pool School.
 

rezasaba

Well-known member
Jul 4, 2008
148
NJ USA
#7
JasonLion said:
With cyanuric acid (CYA) levels near zero, you lose chlorine to sunlight very quickly. Because of that it is easiest to fight algae in the evenings until you can get the CYA level up to the 30-50 range.

Your PH is a bit low at 6.8. You should bring that up to at least 7.2.

The key to fighting algae is to give it some concentrated attention, adding chlorine every hour or so, for several hours in the evening. You want to bring the FC level up to between 10 and 15 as frequently as possible, up to every half hour, for several hours one evening, and then maintain it around there each morning and evening till the water clears up. This is simplest to do with a good test kit. Without the good test kit you need to do a little guess work and use a little extra chlorine.

For more information on fighting algae see this article at Pool School.
HI Jason Thanx for the info should i try to rais the Alkalinity and PH right now as i am trying to fight Algea with Bleach ? Reza
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
#8
Your TA level is fine where it is.

If you have a time when the FC level isn't very high then you should adjust the PH up to 7.2. Just remember that shock levels of chlorine can mess up the PH test, so wait till the FC level is low to adjust the PH.
 

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
4,160
Coastalish 'down easter'
#9
You can safely raise the pH and alk at the same time as shocking the pool - however, at chlorine levels above ~10ppm, the pH test isn't reliable. so go gentle with the pH up chem, just add enough (per Jason's Pool Calculator) to get you to ~7.2.

I know it's a little frustrating/ confusing at first, but with a little patience and reading here you'll get the hang of caring/ maintaining the pool :-D

Again, I wish you well with clearing up the pool and never hesitate to ask questions here :thumleft:

Jason answered while I was typing, so disregard anything I said that duplicates his advice :oops:
 

rezasaba

Well-known member
Jul 4, 2008
148
NJ USA
#10
JasonLion said:
Your TA level is fine where it is.

If you have a time when the FC level isn't very high then you should adjust the PH up to 7.2. Just remember that shock levels of chlorine can mess up the PH test, so wait till the FC level is low to adjust the PH.
Hi Jason where do I enter Info about my profile ?
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
#11
To enter your profile, click on the User Control Panel link, just under the TFP logo on the top left. Then select Profile from the Options list on the left side.
 

rezasaba

Well-known member
Jul 4, 2008
148
NJ USA
#12
JasonLion said:
To enter your profile, click on the User Control Panel link, just under the TFP logo on the top left. Then select Profile from the Options list on the left side.
Hi Thanx Again You guys been a great help , as night is coming upon us I am heading out to add Bleach and fight it out with the greem monster in the dark .