Cloudy water, missed the initial pH adjustment ....

Jul 9, 2018
Clarence, NY
Let me get the numbers to you right from the start, since I know that's gonna be important:

TA: 90
CYA: 80
pH: 6.8
CH: 200
FC: 22
CC: 1.0

I missed the inital pH adjustment window (and boy did i learn my lesson there), because last year my pH was perfect from start to finish. My CH was also 300 last year, so that 200 read came as a surprise. These are all from the Taylor test kit, not pool store. Finally, my CYA was also 30 last year like clockwork, so I began my SLAM with some leftover trichlor bags (that I abandoned use of last summer after finding this site).

Basically - i know I didn't start right (understatement). And, absolutely, mea culpa. :(
That said, this is the first year I've seen cloudy water in the 4 years I've had the pool, having used only pool-store-suggestions for the first 2 1/2 years.

My plan is to adjust that pH after I let my FC drift down to 10-ish (it is drifting down as of this data above, as I want to adjust that pH before I do any more SLAM'ing). The pool actually looks as good as far as I can see, but I'm sure after I have a clear view I"ll be able to address any leftover dirt/algae/etc that i may not have hit with a brush or vacuum (several times already).

......... can I adjust the pH all at once? My plan was to add dissolved Borax to minimize bumping that TA up any further, but that would be 12-14 lbs. And may that help clear up the truly-blue-white cloudiness? My sand filter is running constantly and I'm backwashing at least every other day just to be sure it's as clean as can be.

(I do plan to address the CH, but I feel as if adjusting the pH is more pressing, and I can get to the CH in several additions after I'm done SLAM'ing ... or should I do it now??.)

Thanks VERY much in advance!

Interesting that your pH is so low while you have a relatively healthy TA of 90. You're not using chlorine tablets anymore are you (acidic)? In any case, I would aerate like crazy. Drive water and air down and churn things up to increase the pH to at least 7.0 or 7.2. Aeration won't effect your TA. Then you can increase the FC to 31 as your SLAM level. FC/CYA Levels

Everything else can be addressed later after the SLAM Process is complete. Hope that helps. Good luck!

+1 on aeration

I'm not sure what water features OPs pool has, but I was recently doing some descaling maintenance on my thankless water heater with a Harbor Freight submersible pump and afterwards I put it in my pool just to see how it would break the surface just in case I need to supplement my shears.
I think it should work pretty well at about 1.5 ft depth. But even at 4 ft depth it breaks the water surface.

This is at 1.5 ft deep
20200621_121727.jpg

This is at 4ft deep
20200621_121824.jpg

Reactions: Texas Splash
I've had my filter running constantly (unless i'm backwashing), and i'm unsure how else to get any type of aeration. I have no other power equipment other than my pump& filter setup and, as mentioned, this was an absolute non-issue before.

I'll keep plugging and we'll see how it shakes down! I do have faith in the TFP system, just frustrated by cloudiness.

Happy & safe summer to you all!

Thanks for the replies! UPDATE: apparently there was an issue with the filter that predated our inheriting the pool when we got the house. It was fixed, the lines blown out, and now .... the filter positively chugs. Having never seen it fully functional before (and never having a pool before this one), I now know what it means to be truly operational.
Water cleared up in 2 days, was able to add some Borax without doing anything to the TA, and now we're ready to rock. <3 <3 I'll tweak with the CH and TA over the summer, but as is, we can finally SWIM!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.