Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Guys
I have my SWG setup for about a month right now. At the beginning the water was clear but now it slowly start to get cloudy. I have never work with the pool chemicals except the chlorine.
Two days ago I've ordered the TF-100 kit. And last night I added some stabilizer (CYA) to the pool. I did use a method that somebody described here. I put 1.6lbs of stabilizer into the sox and put it in the filter skimmer. But the weird thing is that it dissolves after 4 hours of running and some guys said it will take days.
Also I've read the Water Balance for SWGs tutorial from "Pool school" and have a question. When the kit arrives I should adjust the chemicals in the order the tutorial says or differently?
My setup is Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater system.

Okay guys. First of all I'm very surprised that the kit arrives in 2 days.
Here is my results:
FC - 0.5 or below
pH - 7.2
TA - it was about 40 drops = 400
CH (vinyl pool) - about 40 drops = 400
CYA - about 20

Now its time to read the whole article. Unless somebody can help me :)

Thanks, and please add 7600 gallons to your sig for info.

Well, you need to follow the directions in Pool School for how to shock your pool: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You will need bleach/liquid chlorine to shock. Shock level with CYA of 20 will be FC of 10ish.

I suggest that you turn the SWG off until you are completely done shocking.

After you are done shocking, you will need to raise the CYA level.

Post back here if you have any questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That depends. If it is cal-hypo, it will add CH, and your CH level is already as high as you should let it go. But if it is dichlor, then using some might be convenient, as it will add CYA which you need. But don't use too much or CYA will go too high and CYA is difficult to lower.

Your last test result said 20 CYA, if you only put one bag of dichlor then your CYA is now around 29 per Bama's info. You can keep adding it but that means your shock level needs to rise as your CYA rises. You are ok to do this but you don't want to go any higher than 70 on the CYA. This is why it's best to use regular bleach only in the pool for shocking unless you know you need more CYA and know what the new shock level will be. The poolcalculator and your test kit should be your best friends during this process.

Okay. So it looks like I need to shock the pool. But... when I enter the results in pool calculator it tells me to replace 35% of my pool water to lower CH. So should I first shock the pool with bleach or replace the 35%?? Also is it necessary to replace the water?

The only reason the PC is telling you to lower the CH is that you have the target set to a lower number than the CH result. 400 is a little high but not too high.

Is your TA really 400. That's extremely high, and it's odd that it matched the CH. :scratch:

I'd run the tests again today (it doesn't matter if it's 100º) and post the full set of results.
Also test your fill water for;
pH
FC
TA
CH

That'll tell us if there's any need to drain because of CH.

I will retest it today. I don't remember which test it is but the one that I need to add drops until the solution turn red (this is when I put in 40 drops). I remember that the solution turn pink but I was keep going until it turn solid red.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.