Cloudy water/high cya

My test kit is missing a couple elements from last year so I dont have every reading;/ but I have cloudy water. Its turquoise not green but I cannot come close to seeing the bottom.
Mu question Is, I assumed the cya was 0 since it sat all winter. I used the formula and added the correct amount to get to about 40 ppm of cya. However it is testing st about 70 :/ I've done the test several times and still got 70, but I have been SLAMing for a few days. Is the cya likely that high or is the results skewed due to adding chlorine ?

My ph is reading 7.2

Chlorine does not effect the CYA test. Adding CYA to your pool without a test prior was not a good idea.

You will need to SLAM based on a 70 ppm CYA or exchange out some of your water for fresh.

Chlorine does not effect the CYA test. Adding CYA to your pool without a test prior was not a good idea.

You will need to SLAM based on a 70 ppm CYA or exchange out some of your water for fresh.
It was always my understanding that the cya after it sitting for the winter would be zero ? But maybe I remembered incorrectly.

Either way, i was able to get some more readings!

FC 11
Cc 0
Cya now read as 50 ? And I did it two times ?

Water is still very cloudy

CYA does not always go away during winter.

Are you doing your CYA testing under the same conditions each time? Be sure it is in full sun, your back to the sun, vial at your waist, etc.

You should take your FC to SLAM level and maintain it there until your water is clear.

CYA does not always go away during winter.

Are you doing your CYA testing under the same conditions each time? Be sure it is in full sun, your back to the sun, vial at your waist, etc.

You should take your FC to SLAM level and maintain it there until your water is clear.
Ok! Today was not as sunny as it was yesterday when I tested but yesterday Idid test as u said today we dint have so much sun :/ but if it comes out later i will try it again. Is there any other reason that would cause cloudiness ? We are still at SLAM levels and have been since Tuesday

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update your signature.

Any prior use of Copper products? Shock / pucks with Blue in their name? Algaecide?

Is this water new or carry over from the past?
What was the algaecide? Brand name, best is the ingredients.

Algaecides are rarely necessary. And do nothing for eliminating algae.

Not copper based so that is good. Your chlorine has oxidized all of it by now.

Follow SLAM Process. Maintain your SLAM level FC as often each day as possible. Brush the pool often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.