Cloudy water coming out of skimmer basket when pump is off

juglans

Sep 21, 2021
California
Hello, I am a relatively new pool owner (itcame with my house). Today I noticed that there is cloudy water running out of the skimmer basket while the pump is off. I started the pump and it sucked back in, seemingly fixing the issue, but after a couple of hours of the pump being off it started to flow back out again. The pressure on my filter shows about 15psi when the filter is running, 0psi when the filter is off. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
I’ll attach a picture of my equipment and what I’m seeing. Thank you!

image.jpgE6E86071-885D-4AE8-99F7-7771B46B5C7D.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It looks like you have DE going backwards from the filter when teh pump is off. While there are sometimes a couple remedies, the first thing to check is an air leak at teh equipment pad. Air leaks let air "in", however you won't necessarily see water come out. Sometimes you might hear a hissing sound, but gain, not always. I would check 3 things right away that are relatively easy to inspect:
1- Pump clear lid O-ring for good silicone lube
2 - Pump drain plug(s) for the same (lubed O-rings
3 - Check the filter pressure gauge/air relief. They are notorious for leaking air "in". Perhaps s small O-ring bad or needs some lube,
4 - That slide/plunger valve might have a bad seal (O-ring). They sell rebuild kits for those as well.

Air getting IN moves water backwards. I'd start there and let us know if any of those help.

Reactions: 1Sammy and juglans
This is also an all-around great link to help you with pool issues.

Reactions: juglans
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.