Build thread: Vinyl in-ground, 18x40, Fastlane, Autocover.

I'd held off on the diving board thinking I could add it later. Now I'm thinking I want the diving board to protect the Fastlane under it and also so people don't have to step on the automatic cover housing/extra cap thing. Thoughts? If i add it later, it won't be quite as solidly attached to the concrete decking.

Pretty much everything is easier/cheaper to do during initial construction than trying to add later. If you know you absolutely, positively want a diving board, do it now.

Pretty much everything is easier/cheaper to do during initial construction than trying to add later. If you know you absolutely, positively want a diving board, do it now.
I just am not sure. I'll have the Fastlane right under it. I worry about people hurting themselves either way. But now that the autocover housing is in, I think a diving board makes even more sense --- there's a little drop off between the cover lid and the pool.

Pics!
IMG_1853.jpg
IMG_6223.JPG
I am LOVING the liner color. Can't wait to see what it looks like with TFP water... They've dug the ditch for the autocover drain, but they're waiting on pipe for it.

I'm to turn off the water when it reaches the top of the bottom step and unplug the vacuums. Still lots to do, but it's looking like a pool!

Thanks everyone!

One of our pool rules is no entry from the autocover end of the pool except for the diving board. Everyone knows and it’s good. Their is a big risk of people falling/slipping by stepping on the cap/wall top area. I’d definitely get the diving board now since the jig it’s mounted with will be in the concrete deck and needs to be bonded. Major pain to do that later in my opinion.

Reactions: lazygirl1978
I like that rule, @bmoreswim ! Thanks. Good point re: the jig, too. I hadn't thought about that.

How often do you use your robot to clean the pool? I'm getting a robot, but I'm wondering what my use will look like given that, hopefully, the pool will remain pretty clean!

Our pool stays rather clean, though we certainly get some leaf/tree debris to make us want to drop it in. Honestly what my most common debris is, is dust-like debris. If that is essentially my plaster ever so slowly disintegrating (maybe a small portion) or blown in debris (my guess) I can't say. Obviously you wouldn't have the plaster issue, but it could be that the the very fine debris that appears as dust on the bottom of my pool could still show up for you. And the robot does an amazing job at that type, along with any leaves, worms, dead spiders, junk the kids drag in and for us, lots of dog hair that sinks. It's awesome for that too.

Our pool stays rather clean, though we certainly get some leaf/tree debris to make us want to drop it in. Honestly what my most common debris is, is dust-like debris. If that is essentially my plaster ever so slowly disintegrating (maybe a small portion) or blown in debris (my guess) I can't say. Obviously you wouldn't have the plaster issue, but it could be that the the very fine debris that appears as dust on the bottom of my pool could still show up for you. And the robot does an amazing job at that type, along with any leaves, worms, dead spiders, junk the kids drag in and for us, lots of dog hair that sinks. It's awesome for that too.
So great to know! I grew up with a Polaris and am excited that it sounds like these new robots are a lot better. I’ll let you know about the dust debris! I do have a dog who will love the pool. He’s a poodle mix, so not as much hair, but there will be some — plus whatever he tracks in from the yard!

Water is slowly headed up. My tf100 is on its way.

EE5A1907-A482-4C6E-82A1-53491D8D077D.jpeg

It seems to! There are a couple wrinkles in the steps, but the installer pointed them out to me said they'd smooth out when the water goes in.... I'm very happy with how it looks in the deep end! We'll see. They're coming back Monday to install the trim/skimmer stuff, and then we'll fill it up all the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the meantime, you can throw the robot in after it's full and get the dirt out. Have you ordered your hairnets for your skimmers yet? To catch dog hair, etc. so it doesn't get stuck in the skimmer or go through the skimmer to the filter.

Ooh great idea. I don’t have it yet but just talked with the PB and she's getting it for me. Just ordered the hairnets! Thanks! Stupid question but do you put them in the basket or around the outside? I'd be worried one will get sucked down into the pipes....

They go over the top of the basket and then you push them into the basket. Kind of over the bar or to one side. Sometimes they float up so you can put a rock in them that you take out each time but MAKE SURE the rock is too big to get stuck in the pipe at the bottom of the skimmer.

Nice thing about a vinyl pool at startup is you can use the robot immediately. Plaster pools have to wait 30 days so the tracks don’t cause any marks in the plaster.

They go over the top of the basket and then you push them into the basket. Kind of over the bar or to one side. Sometimes they float up so you can put a rock in them that you take out each time but MAKE SURE the rock is too big to get stuck in the pipe at the bottom of the skimmer.

Nice thing about a vinyl pool at startup is you can use the robot immediately. Plaster pools have to wait 30 days so the tracks don’t cause any marks in the plaster.
One of the things I appreciate about TFP is that I get how much more complicated a plaster start up is! I never would’ve know that without TFP. I admit lazygirl took that into consideration when choosing vinyl....

Thanks re the hairnet info. That is really good to know!

Still waiting to turn off the water.

I definitely recommend the wall whale, I couldn’t brush the deeper walls anywhere near as well with my regular brush.
Thanks! I'm glad I got the bundle. It's on its way. Hopefully it'll be here early this week?

I turned off the water at 6:10am on Saturday. Then it rained all day. I turned off the vacuums as instructed, and now there are wrinkles in the liner where there weren't before. I guess this is normal. The crew chief for the team that installed the liner pointed out the wrinkles that were then on the steps and said they'd fall right out when it was all done. Fingers still crossed!

IMG_6263.jpg

There's also quite a bit of erosion around the perimeter from the rain. And my backyard is a swamp! No rain supposed to come til Wednesday night (I'll gladly accept the free water!). Tomorrow I should get skimmers and can start filling again. Hoping to get my robot soon.

Oh, and I did get water meter readings (38904 to 40595 cubic feet =12,649 gallons). I'll do another set of readings when we fill it up the rest of the way. By my calculations, 1.75" of rain in the 18x40 pool equals 785.5 gallons. Not to sure this will give me a good read on how much water is really in the pool, but there's no harm in trying.

Sweet! Coming along! Here is hoping they have a good way to get those wrinkles out!

They will need to do some backfilling in those areas for sure. I wonder what they will use? Send that pic to your PB so he can let the crew know so they will be ready for it.

Good job on them for doing the labeling. Now you need to print out that pic so you can have it just in case they fade or come off.

Good job working on getting a ball park number for the gallons. I bet you are going to be very close when it is done. We can/will tweak it with the chemicals if needed.

Kim:kim:

Sweet! Coming along! Here is hoping they have a good way to get those wrinkles out!

They will need to do some backfilling in those areas for sure. I wonder what they will use? Send that pic to your PB so he can let the crew know so they will be ready for it.

Good job on them for doing the labeling. Now you need to print out that pic so you can have it just in case they fade or come off.

Good job working on getting a ball park number for the gallons. I bet you are going to be very close when it is done. We can/will tweak it with the chemicals if needed.

I decided it was better to give too much information than too little, so I sent a pick on Saturday about the erosion and the wrinkles getting worse. Hopefully that helped! And great idea about printing the picture! I liked the idea I saw somewhere (kimkat’s maybe?) of making a pool binder— that’s going in it.

Spring forward is painful. Ugh. Also, it wasn’t supposed to rain today but it’s raining! Hopefully it’s not as bad as it looks on radar.

Oh I am full of *good ideas* LOL I forget to share them sometimes so am glad you are doing the binder! You will be glad also when you look back over this and remember all that lead up to your wonderful pool!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.