cloudy pool

pawprints2839

Jul 22, 2020
milford, de
so this is my first year ever with a pool. My pool was built in 2008, it's a 24ft round 4ft deep above ground, with a hayward sand multiport valve pump. It was neglected & uncovered for 12 years. This year back in May I had the laterals changed & sand. After careful care I literally had the pool looking brand new. Now after at the beginning of the week I added stabilizer through the tube sock method but tied to a light, sqeezing it wvery so often. Then I added calcium hardness, etc. My mother & i swam Saturday. Sunday I woke up & the pool was cloudy. I added 4 cups of liquid chlorine because my levels were low & ph increaser because my ph was low. It's like a whitish translucent spec. I used a floc two days ago & woke up with water clear- didn't notice powder resting on bottom. I vacuum my pool with a volt fx-8 li manual vacuum & it mizrs it all up. I balanced my chemicals used a clarifier & skimmet sock & it's still floating & cloudy. What is it?
My levels at 2:59 pm:
FC: 4PPM
TC: 4PPM
CC:0
PH: 7.2
TA: 100PPM
CH: 200PPM
CYA: 80PPM

so this is my first year ever with a pool. My pool was built in 2008, it's a 24ft round 4ft deep above ground, with a hayward sand multiport valve pump. It was neglected & uncovered for 12 years. This year back in May I had the laterals changed & sand. After careful care I literally had the pool looking brand new. Now after at the beginning of the week I added stabilizer through the tube sock method but tied to a light, sqeezing it wvery so often. Then I added calcium hardness, etc. My mother & i swam Saturday. Sunday I woke up & the pool was cloudy. I added 4 cups of liquid chlorine because my levels were low & ph increaser because my ph was low. It's like a whitish translucent spec. I used a floc two days ago & woke up with water clear- didn't notice powder resting on bottom. I vacuum my pool with a volt fx-8 li manual vacuum & it mizrs it all up. I balanced my chemicals used a clarifier & skimmet sock & it's still floating & cloudy. What is it?
My levels at 2:59 pm:
FC: 4PPM
TC: 4PPM
CC:0
PH: 7.2
TA: 100PPM
CH: 200PPM
CYA: 80PPM

Can someone help

oh i can't drain that much- it's a vinyl liner- that's 12 years old with a patch & wrinkles already & the humidity here & temperature is extremely horrible- i'm too afraid for that - is there any way to lower my cya without draining that much? & i did add algaecide this am - 12oz.. pool still really cloudy - this am @ 9 my fc & tc had decreased a little 1-2ppm so i thought alegae since my chlorine decreased but the pool water was black with snails leaves & sticks & i cleared it- i'm so afraid to drain it

Algaecide won't help. Only chlorine will. With that high CYA, it's going to take a lot of it. The more you drain, the less chlorine it will take. At 80 CYA, you need to get your FC up to 31 and hold it there. At 20 CYA (after a 3/4 water replacement) it only needs to be 10. If you replace half the water, then it's CYA 40 and FC 16.

All the time your FC is less than 6, at 80 CYA, the algae is having a party in your pool, multiplying.

You asked about alternatives to lowering your CYA - you can do multiple smaller drains and refills, which require much more total water. Two 50% drain/refills gets you to the same place as a 75% drain/refill, at a cost of 33% more water. Or you can drain 25% of your water five times, which takes almost twice as much water as a single 75% drain.

Even a single 50% drain would put you in a much better position to start.

While you are figuring out what you want to do, add 1.25 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine now to get your FC to 10, and then add 0.75 gallons each day to add 5 ppm. That won't fix your current problem, but it will prevent it from getting worse while you consider your options.

So i started yesterday doing a small drain & filling- did that 3 times- to dilute it - before i went to sleep my Taylor kit said my cya was 70- today just now nothing sank to the bottom over night- i drained even more just now at one time & filling it- my aquaspa strips this am are still reading cya over 50

What test kit do you have? There is no such thing as a Taylor 2009 test kit.
Once you can test your CYA with a proper test kit, and have a FAS-DPD test kit, start the SLAM Process

I have a Taylor 2005 kit -so i've been properly testing my levels- sorry for the mistake- this am i see the white stuff settled to the bottom & i tried to vacuum it with my volt & i even line the vacuum filter with a skimmer sock & i can see the white stuff blowing back through the vacuum- i've tried clarifier & floc - nothing.. these are my chemical levels with the TAYLOR K-2005 kit:
FC: 2
TC: 3
CC: 1
PH: 7.0
TA: 80
CH: 130
CYA: 55
so now what because i can't get the white transluscent particles out- i assume raise chlorine..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your chlorine level has been too low for your high CYA level. You need to follow the SLAM process, which means holding your chlorine level at an extra high level until your water clears and you pass an overnight chlorine loss test. Search those terms on the forum and you will find detailed instructions.

After you finish the SLAM, you need to maintain your chlorine level based on your CYA level. There’s a chart on this web site under the Pool School / ABCs section. FC of 2 is way too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.