Cloudy pool won’t clear up

Apr 26, 2016
West Columbia
Hello all, hope this is in the right thread. I’ve not been having the best time getting my pool ready this year. I neglected my pool for about A year in half when I had my youngest daughter. So it was pretty filthy. I drained just about all the water out and started over. It was ready to start adding chemicals around May 24. It has been in shock status every sense and the pump has been running almost 95% of the time. I can’t for the life of me get the pool clear. It seems to stay cloudy not matter what I do. My most recent test is as follows.
FC-12
CC-0
PH-7.7
TA-50
CYA-0
I realize my cya needs to be higher however I figured while I was trying to keep it in shock status, it might be easier to add less chemical for the time being. The only other thing I can think of is my filter, but I have not been able to find absolute proof that is what it is. I plan to change out the sand this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Your FC is high for a CYA level of zero, even if you are in SLAM. Are you sure your numbers are right? Are you using old test chemicals?

Sand rarely if ever needs to be changed. Backwashing might be a good idea, making sure to use the rinse setting afterwards to resettle the sand properly.

Hi and thank you for your reply, I typically keep it around 10FC, however since I'm not home during the day and have it a bit higher to compensate. I do regularly backwash and rinse, but I have still not been able to get my pool clear. At night I typcally add my chemicals and usually only loose 1-2ppm by the morning, but its never clear.

How long are you running the pump?

Really wouldn’t encourage regularly keeping FC above slam - it will harm your liner.

You said you took a break for 1.5 years - are your test chemicals new? Have you added anything besides chlorine to the pool?

I run the pump typically all day or at least I have been since I aerated trying to get the pool clear and clean. I bought new test chemicals in the last week or two and am using liquid chlorine 10% and previously was using 12.5%. I’ve yet to see a clear day. I’ve read over time the sand filters sand should be changed. I bought this house back in 2016 and the pool was included. The filter sand has never been changed since we have been here and it appears the pool was installed back in 2012. In that time I’m not sure if has ever been changed. Not to say that this is the problem, but I’m at a loss.

If you’ve never opened it up, i would do that. I have a meeting in 2 minutes, but you can search this forum for “cleaning sand filter.” Sand could be channeled as well.

Before going through the trouble of changing out the sand, try adding DE to it. You may need to add just a tad of CYA just to give yourself something to go on for your SLAM. Iget the frustration, it took my SLAM 23 days to open this year. I plan to just keep it open this winter after going through all that.

Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Lowe’s, any of them should have it. It will help the sand filter work a little better. Here’s a link explaining how it works.

I just finished a 23 day SLAM so I get the frustration, but it’s SO worth it. You can’t put a price on truly having a trouble free pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s fine to use DE if you follow the instructions in the link above, but first, inspect your sand and do a deep clean as descibed here. Unless your sand is completely gunked up (could happen if previous owner used something not advised), sand doesn’t need to be replaced. Then add the DE and carefully watch your filter pressure.

Nothing else has been added? No powdered shock or clarifier?

I did add some stabilizer today to raise my cya since it was at zero, but other than that. Just liquid chlorine has all I’ve added. Unfortunately my plumping is all hard plumbed so I’m going to have to cut the pipes in order to see my sand. The filter worked fine and I had a clear pool back in 2018 which was the last time had my pool opened.

You were going to do that anyway, when you talked about replacing your sand, right?

To avoid that, go ahead and try the DE, just like described. We’ll see how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.