Cloudy Pool Will Not Clear

Kbroman

May 29, 2020
Saint Michael, MN
I have had my pool for 8 years. I have never had any trouble opening up in the spring. I would have some debris from the winter and would have to vacuum a couple of times and it would clear up inside a week. This year I can not get my pool to clear to save my life. I just don't know what to do anymore. There seems to be very fine debris in the water that will not filter out. I have even tried to put in DE powder in my sand filter. (I have never needed this before)

When I vacuum I can see the fine dust coming back in the return. I'm sure the laterals are good as the sand filter was new last year.

I just did a test tonight:
FC 23
CC 0
PH 7.8 ---> plan is to drop this to 7.0 with muratic acid to lower TA then aerate to bring back up
TA 320
CH 230
CYA 100 ---> I have been vacuuming and backwashing a lot and this got away from me a bit. I plan on back-washing and letting this fall to ~80
SALT 3800 ---> ditto for this one with the back-washing
TEMP 77
CSI .46

I know my FC is high but it is just coming down from SLAMing.

Please help. I don't want to drain and start from scratch, but I'm just about there with this.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. I know you said you had done that, but, you must have not passed the three criteria as you still have cloudy water. To be successful, you really should lower your CYA perferably to at least 50 ppm. You can try it at 80, but that means a FC of 31 ppm and your testing gets difficult.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Kbroman