Cloudy pool suggestions?

adam_d

Apr 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Hello all!

I finally got my pool to a cloudy blue and want to get it crystal clear now. I was recommended a bottle of FLOC from my local pool store. I originally put 8 oz. but it didn't do much good. The directions called for a heavier done so I put the whole bottle in (24 more ounces). A few hours after, a white-lard substance filled the top of the pool. From my understanding, all of this was suppose to float to the bottom of the pool. I waited a couple hours and didn't see much difference.

My pool had been sitting in the sun so I decided to add a tad more shock to see if it would help. I then turned on the filter for another 15+ hours.

Came home today and the majority of the lard-substance was gone, but now the particles are much smaller. I took a water sample and the pool store came up with the following results:

Free Available Chlorine - 4 ppm
Calcium Hardness - 290
Cyanuric Acid - 60
Total Alkalinity - 80
pH - 7.4

They gave me a Congratulations, your pool is balanced! I just need to clear it up. They suggested vacuuming to see if it makes any difference and then maybe let the pool settle to see if the remaining particles will float to the bottom.

I vacuumed/backwashed and began filtering again since I'm currently adding a bit more water. SO! Suggestions on what I can do to get this pool crystal clear?

There are pictures of where my pool currently sits:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5t3io3dq19uv4h4/20140429_172429.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w77n58vwms2hv3/20140429_172400.jpg (NOTICE THE WHITE PARTICLES)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my advice is to get a good test kit and stop going to that pool store. They seem to want to take a "see if..." and "maybe it'll work" stance.

You can clear it up by completing the SLAM as described in Pool School. Also, read the link in my signature as a starting point for your Pool School education.

One thing I see is the FC is too low for that CYA level, so in my opinion it is not balanced. The pool store almost always gets the CYA level wrong.
To yourself a huge favor and invest in a good test kit. I suggest the TF-100 as it is the best value http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison.
The next thing I suggest to you is spend sometime reading in Pool School. You need to read the SLAM process and follow it to the T. ?

According to SLAM, it just says to keep adding chlorine until the water is clear?
No, that is not what it says.
It says you test your FC level at least twice a day and raise it back up to try to keep it at SLAM level until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

Your FC SLAM(shock) level is a function of your CYA as shown in the FC/CYA Chart.

To measure these FC levels, you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test which is the key to the Recommended Test Kits.

Well, eventually I'll get a test kit. For now, I added a gallon on bleach to raise FC. I'll see where it takes me in the morning.

I guess I was going on the assumption that pool store tests were as accurate as in-home. They said the recommended ranges for FC were between 1-4 ppm, which the charts on here are much higher.

I would get the kit sooner than later ! The other thing I'm going to point is you can't mix the pool store advice with our advice as our advice is going to a lot different than theirs.
Here's a big hint. Take our advice. We have no other motive except for you to have an inexpensive and trouble free pool !! ?

Either use the pool store advice and keep dumping over priced chemicals in your pool that you DON'T need or, follow TFP, buy a fabulous test kit and save a lot of money and have gorgeous water that your neighbors will be envious of. The choice is yours.

my pool before seeking advice from TFP..

pondwater2_zps8569f5df.jpg

my pool after advice from TFP 2 days after..

poolsecondday_zps82fcdac0.jpg

cost : $10 in liquid chlorine.

I dont even the pool store has anything priced less then $10... well maybe a noodle. i could of had them sell me a noodle or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, eventually I'll get a test kit. For now, I added a gallon on bleach to raise FC. I'll see where it takes me in the morning.

Without reliable test results it might be enough....or too much (which might bleach your liner if you have one?)...or not nearly enough if your CYA is too high. Without knowing, you're just guessing which can be chancy and potentially a waste of money.

I guess I was going on the assumption that pool store tests were as accurate as in-home. They said the recommended ranges for FC were between 1-4 ppm, which the charts on here are much higher.

Why were you assuming that? Every pool owner here has had first hand or read of folks experiences where those pool store results are anything*but* reliable. The pool store might just be ignorant of the why-what-how details of the chemicals they sell, or they might be deliberately trying to sell you yet another product ($ cha-ching!) because selling products is what they do....right?

No one can test with good intentions as well as you. You have your own best interests in mind and as responsible pool owner need to know *what* is in your water, *what* and *why* you're adding chemicals and how you can manage a pool safely using the *least* amount of chemicals possible. To do this one needs a GOOD test kit. I like the TF-100 which is a bargain in the big scheme of things when you consider all you *won't* be buying at the pool store. Your call.

I would not say it is hatred. We have repeatedly seen their inaccurate and inconsistent test results which lead to selling a lot of chemicals that we know are not needed. Also rarely do they grasp some of the chemistry, where either they have never been taught or have been given bad information by chemical companies looking to make a buck.

We simply offer an alternative which will always save someone money through understanding of the chemistry and the use of accurate test results.

Hi Adam !!
Just another perspective on pool stores. They have their usefulness, but, I think if you read, read and read the methodology from TFP you'll have a greater understanding on what the mission is here. I know I've spent countless hours reading the same stuff over and over and I'm still learning from this site.

Now the pool store near me has the liquid bleach that I need, whereas the big box stores in my area do not carry the strength that I need for my climate. Plus I like to go into the pool store and BS with the guy. Like yesterday, I went in and bought some acid and more bleach and I asked him how long does this bleach retain it's strength while stored. He said 5-6 months. I'm thinking to myself, that's seems like a long time. And he tried to sell me a very nice pump system after I asked about just changing my 2.5 hp motor to a variable speed motor. He said I couldn't install a new motor without changing the whole pump system..1200 + dollars :mad:

Anyways, good luck, this forum is crazy good with tons of help.

Sorry for the rant !!
Mark

FC 9
CC 0
TA 100
PH 7.5
CYA 65
CH 550 :shaking:
Water temp 80 :p

Well I'm a first time pool owner, learning. I was also unaware of the hatred towards pool stores. Now I know.

No it's not "hatred" of the pool store. It's a business and they have the right to do what they do and that is sell a product.
This is a teaching forum. We teach the understanding of all the pool chemicals and their affects and side affects. With that understanding and accurate water testing you can maintain your own pool water in an inexpensive way.
Sure it's ok to use some of the pool stores chemicals, you just have to understand what that chemical is doing and the side effects of using it and when to stop using it. That is what TFPC is about. Gaining the knowledge. ?

Why were you assuming that?
Well, I think that's a very natural assumption. If you need advice on a car, you would assume the car dealer is the expert. If you go to the heart surgeon, etc. etc. It just turns out that pool stores don't fit into that category. They are not experts and far too frequently give unreliable advice.

Secondly, I have to say candidly I don't like that word "hatred" and I think it's misleading to use it. There is no pool store or anybody in it that I have ever hated and I think that's applicable to everyone here.

What we have learned through years of experience is pool stores and MOST of the employees in them simply do not normally give accurate advice and as such, are not a good resource to learn how to manage your pool.

Last, about the worst thing you can do is mix pool store advice and what we teach. You will always get conflicting advice and you end up stuck in the middle. Each pool owner should choose a single resource to learn about pools.

How about this ..... i hated going to the pool store and talking to a high school or college kid who read suggestions from a computer as to what was needed in the pool. When i asked questions they did not have any answers. So i got to the point where i would browse the store until i saw the manager and then would grab him and get my questions answered.

I would spend over $300 my first trip and then have to go back in early August for another $150 worth of chemicals to get through the year.

Now i do my own tests and for the most part know exactly what i need to do. On the off chance that i am not sure i come on here and post my questions. This is year three or four for me and i couldn't be happier. In addition to understanding the chemistry and managing my pool myself i have gained the confidence to repair two issues that would have cost me hundreds of dollars (if not more) all by myself. I had a collapsed flex pipe coming out of my skimmer that i was able to diagnose with some help here and then i dug under the concrete and did the repair myself. This past winter i lost a ton of water for some unknown reason (best guess was a malfunctioning hydrostatic relief valve) and had to deal with a floating liner. With the help of one of the people here i was able to get the liner back in place and refill the water and eliminate a costly repair.

I am sure there are pool stores with knowledgable employees that truly want your pool to be sparkly clear but there are also stores with employees who don't really understand water chemistry and just go with what the computer recommends. And ... keep in mind they are all basing their recommendations on tests that may or may not have given accurate results.

Buy the kit and drink the kool aid here ..... once you learn what you are doing that kool aid is mighty tasty compared to that served up by the pool stores!

I bought my house with pool last summer. Prior owner "educated me" by taking a bottle of pool/swap water to the pool store, having them test "FOR FREE!" and proceed to load up the car with $600 worth of chemicals (pucks, shock, hardner, phosfree, etc etc).

I found this forum, bought the test kit, some bleach from costco, and had the pool sparkling for about $100. Eventually you'll need some CYA/stablizer, borax, or acid, but it sure is good to know you have the pool in your hands, not the people making money selling chemicals.

The TF-100 test kit is THE way to go- they're not trying to take your money. $68 well spent.

Don't want to do it? Fine, go back to the pool store and keep dumping stuff in the water hoping for a miracle. Do a search, hundreds of other people have done this and all say it works great.

If you keep up with the typical pool store advice and use tri-chlor, don't be afraid to come back and be told you have to drain the pool when your CYA or Calcium levels are through the roof....

Well, I appreciate all the input. I'm only $200 into chemicals so I'm glad I'm getting knowledge before I went any further. I'll be getting a test kit in the next few days and begin testing.

It seems one of the causes of cloudiness might be coming from the shock I've been adding. Unfortunately, the bulk of my expenses was a huge bucket of granular shock. From what I've heard, bleach is a better alternative.

Please realize that it is rare to find the recommended test kits locally, so it will likely need to be ordered online.

If the "shock" you are using is cal-hypo, then that could certainly be a contributing factor to the cloudiness from all the calcium you are adding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.