Cloudy pool, algae covered floor, no chlorine...

Why no

Why no Clorox brand? I had one gallon of Clorox 6%, plain, unscented, and one of the pool chlorine, and I added both of them earlier. I'm FINALLY getting ALMOST 12FC...11.5 just now, but it COULD'VE been at LEAST 12 earlier, because I ran out to Lowe's, right after I added the chlorine, and got 15 bottles of pool chlorine, yay!!!
Just did a few tests, going to add more muriatic acid, and a tiny bit of chlorine, to bring the TA down, and the FC to 12.
FC - 11.5
PH - 7.2
TA - 110
CH - 325
I noticed CH seems to be fluctuating. Is this normal? I wouldn't have tested it again tonight but I was curious, and sure enough, it changed again. Thanks for your help!!
Just have to watch Clorox close, they like to add “extra” stuff like scents

Reactions: DoePooled
Why no

Why no Clorox brand? I had one gallon of Clorox 6%, plain, unscented, and one of the pool chlorine, and I added both of them earlier. I'm FINALLY getting ALMOST 12FC...11.5 just now, but it COULD'VE been at LEAST 12 earlier, because I ran out to Lowe's, right after I added the chlorine, and got 15 bottles of pool chlorine, yay!!!
Just did a few tests, going to add more muriatic acid, and a tiny bit of chlorine, to bring the TA down, and the FC to 12.
FC - 11.5
PH - 7.2
TA - 110
CH - 325
I noticed CH seems to be fluctuating. Is this normal? I wouldn't have tested it again tonight but I was curious, and sure enough, it changed again. Thanks for your help!!
Not sure why you need MA now. The pH is perfect and worry not about the TA now. Don't bother checking the PH till the slam is over. Checking PH with FC above 10 renders it inaccurate. Keep the slam going and worry about nothing else pool wise.

Bleach additives like Cloromax on Clorox tend to create foam. There are also some people who complain about bad smell on the pool after using bleach with additives.

And other generic bleaches have started to say stuff like "New Technology" which to me means its Clorox under a generic label.
Chloramax technology is nothing more than polymers added which "coat" your clothes "to stay cleaner longer" as they claim. Even the jug I red said "Not for Pools" on it.

Maddie 🐞

So here's what we've got now. The algae was pretty much dead, just left with all the cloudiness. There was just the right amount of flocculent in the pool supplies left by the previous owners. Problem is, we only have one hose, so we can't direct the water away from the house while simultaneously vacuuming all the crud off the floor of the pool. Might need to go into town and get another hose! Right now, trying to just do a little at a time. 20210713_115342.jpg20210713_115402_HDR.jpg20210713_115443.jpg20210713_115456.jpg20210713_122302.jpg

Reactions: Snoobug
So here's what we've got now. The algae was pretty much dead, just left with all the cloudiness. There was just the right amount of flocculent in the pool supplies left by the previous owners. Problem is, we only have one hose, so we can't direct the water away from the house while simultaneously vacuuming all the crud off the floor of the pool. Might need to go into town and get another hose! Right now, trying to just do a little at a time. View attachment 354707View attachment 354708View attachment 354709View attachment 354710View attachment 354711
I'm not sure I understand. Looked at the poolmath logs, don't see your pool levels only the additions. Also noticed No additional chlorine between the 6/8 and 6/11. If you're in a slam it won't/can't work this way.

I'm not sure I understand. Looked at the poolmath logs, don't see your pool levels only the additions. Also noticed No additional chlorine between the 6/8 and 6/11. If you're in a slam it won't/can't work this way.
I was sick for several days and not able to do any testing or additions. My husband added chlorine for me 2 or 3 times a day. When I was feeling better, I tested everything, and decided that, since we hadn't seen any algae for several days, it was time to floc and vacuum, so I worked on getting the pool to the recommended levels on the flocculent bottle label. It is working so far. Here's what the pool looks like now.
Also, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by not seeing any levels. I've listed levels several times here. I didn't see anywhere to list levels on the pool math app, other than when I do the calculations for adding chemicals. Is there a specific location for adding all the levels on the app?
Thank you for your feedback! I'll be checking levels again as soon as the pool is filled back up. We're hoping to be using it very soon now!! 20210714_165238_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was sick for several days and not able to do any testing or additions. My husband added chlorine for me 2 or 3 times a day. When I was feeling better, I tested everything, and decided that, since we hadn't seen any algae for several days, it was time to floc and vacuum, so I worked on getting the pool to the recommended levels on the flocculent bottle label. It is working so far. Here's what the pool looks like now.
Also, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by not seeing any levels. I've listed levels several times here. I didn't see anywhere to list levels on the pool math app, other than when I do the calculations for adding chemicals. Is there a specific location for adding all the levels on the app?
Thank you for your feedback! I'll be checking levels again as soon as the pool is filled back up. We're hoping to be using it very soon now!! View attachment 355111
Glad your feeling better. Might need to stir your sand around after a few days, Floc is almost like a glue and can gum it up.
Water looks nice and blue :)

In poolmath you can also log a fresh set of new test data at the bottom of the app window where it says "new log". Then in settings you can choose to share them....
Thank you! I'll check that out next time I test water. It's definition looking better and I'm pooped after today, running back and forth between the pool, the pump, and the backwash/waste hose! 🥵🥴I was afraid I might've mucked up the skimmer line because I was told by my husband to stick the vacuum hose directly into the skimmer hole, per a friend of his who maintains a pool at an apartment complex. I've since watched a couple videos on how to properly vacuum a pool out. Should've watched those FIRST! DOH, Doe!! 🤦‍♀️I believe I've got it all sorted out now, and it's running well again. Also learned a few things about the filter settings. Why didn't I do that to start with?!! Would've saved me A LOT of frustration. Oh well. Live and learn, and hopefully SWIM!!
🏊‍♀️ Pool is almost back to normal fill level, so I'll be testing the water soon.

Glad your feeling better. Might need to stir your sand around after a few days, Floc is almost like a glue and can gum it up.
Water looks nice and blue :)
Thank you very much. I'm trying not to overdo it, but today is putting me to the test LOL
I just LOVE the pretty blue color! It's so much nicer than that icky green!
By "stir your sand around", do you mean backwash it? I've definitely done my share of backwashing today! LOL Thinking the skimmer line may have been clogged a bit from incorrectly vacuuming by plugging the vacuum hose directly into the skimmer, I went back and forth between backwash and waste and filter and recirculate, trying to get it to circulate in the filter cycle normally. Whatever was going on, I must have done something right, because it's working fine now! Whew!!

Thank you very much. I'm trying not to overdo it, but today is putting me to the test LOL
I just LOVE the pretty blue color! It's so much nicer than that icky green!
By "stir your sand around", do you mean backwash it? I've definitely done my share of backwashing today! LOL Thinking the skimmer line may have been clogged a bit from incorrectly vacuuming by plugging the vacuum hose directly into the skimmer, I went back and forth between backwash and waste and filter and recirculate, trying to get it to circulate in the filter cycle normally. Whatever was going on, I must have done something right, because it's working fine now! Whew!

That should work but sometimes the sand and get sticky and won't filter but allow little tunnels through the middle. When I had a sand i would take off the top part and just dig around with my hands to mix it up good.
But not until it's clear and blue.FLOC can cause issues but hey I have used it in the past before, it works :)

That should work but sometimes the sand and get sticky and won't filter but allow little tunnels through the middle. When I had a sand i would take off the top part and just dig around with my hands to mix it up good.
But not until it's clear and blue.FLOC can cause issues but hey I have used it in the past before, it works :)
Considering the amount of dead algae that was floating around, I am glad I used it, but if there's another way to clear cloudiness that's just as effective with less potential for problems, I'm in!!

Filtering.
Floc is specifically Not Recommended by TFP.

Follow the SLAM Process. With a sand filter, the Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool will speed up clearing of the debris.
Sounds good. The pressure gauge on our filter does not work at the moment. It is old and rusted. It's been recommended that we have the filter and pump both replaced. As we get repairs around the house done I'm sure we will get to that, hopefully sooner than later.
Now that I know where to post my numbers in the app, I am going to post those there and get caught up.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.