Cloudy, but blue

mdavis

Jul 8, 2010
Mobile, Alabama
I have been fighting mustard algae this weekend. I superchlorinated with bleach enough to raise FC to 24, and kept it there all day yesterday and last night. My CYA was tested at 0 before I began, and I haven't added any. (We haven't had any sun in three days, so I didn't worry about the CYA.) Just 6% bleach. This morning my water is no longer green, now it is a milky, almost sky, blue. How much longer do I need to keep the chlorine at shock levels? And, what's next? I was thinking of adding triclor next after the FC drops to swimmable levels, to get some CYA in the pool. Is that a good idea? Pump is still running. I have been backwashing about every 12 hours. This morning, the backwash was almost clear in the sight glass, even though I still can't see the bottom of the pool. Unless you say otherwise, I be adding another three 182 oz jugs of bleach after work this afternoon.

FYI, I forget my basic premise, but the pool calculator told me that at one point I needed about 5 pounds of triclor or 12 jugs (96 oz) of bleach to achieve the same result on FC. I priced the equivalent amounts at WalMart, and the total cost of each alternative was within 75 cents of each other with the bleach the lower price. Since triclor already has the CYA in it, does it really make sense to use separate bleach and CYA? Or maybe I am mistaken about triclor having CYA built in?

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Tri-chlor is not the correct product to shock your pool. Tri-chlor is simply to slow-acting for the shock process.

Purchase enough stabilizer to get to 30ppm and then hold your FC @ 12-15ppm continuously until your pool is clear. That may take a few more days. Brush as much as you can, vacuum if necessary, backwash/clean as needed and, importantly, KEEP YOUR FC UP HIGH.

Reread "How to Shock your Pool" up in Pool School

Once you're done shocking your pool you could use trichlor to add CYA but you have to realize it's going to be a slow process and you'll be burning through FC while you're trying to get it up and will have to supplement with bleach anyway. If you already have trichlor I'd use it but if you have to buy it I'd just use bleach and add CYA directly.

So now, it is 3 1/2 days later, Thursday morn, and my water is still cloudy, sky blue. I have been keeping the FC at 12 to 15, the PH at 7.5, and running the pump continuously. I added the CYA and brought the level up to 30-50 on Monday afternoon. What now? The water may have cleared somewhat, but I still can't see the bottom in the deep end. I would really like to swim this weekend, but not with the FC so high. Any further suggestions? Thanks.

Keep your pool at shock level until you pass the overnight test. Once you pass the overnight test you can let your FC fall to recommended levels according to the CYA/Chlorine Chart and keep the pump running 24/7. It may take awhile to clear out the cloudiness even after you are finished shocking.

You can use the pool as long as the FC levels are good, just keep in mind that if you can't see your feet when you are standing up then you won't be able to see a person in trouble who may be on the bottom of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.