Cloud of "dust" every time I brush

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
I have had a pool for a little over a year now. Been using liquid bleach since I started and have had no trouble. I noticed this week that I have a few spots on the bottom of the pool at least one is a stain I believe from a penny or some other metal object thrown in the pool. Others in the deep end look to have a green tint.

I have also noticed every time I brush there is a brownish cloud, especially in the shallow end and on the tanning ledge. This has been going on since I got the pool.

I have only had to shock it once last spring due to a storm that blew a couple of trees worth of pollen into the pool. Outside of that, the numbers have been stable. I just tested this evening and the chlorine looks fine:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
TC: 4.5
PH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 220
CYA 30

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am looking to do the over night test tonight, but do not expect to see a loss as the numbers have been very stable and predictable. The water is crystal clear. Temps have been rising and water is at about 80 degrees.

loweran said:
I have had a pool for a little over a year now. Been using liquid bleach since I started and have had no trouble. I noticed this week that I have a few spots on the bottom of the pool at least one is a stain I believe from a penny or some other metal object thrown in the pool. Others in the deep end look to have a green tint.

I have also noticed every time I brush there is a brownish cloud, especially in the shallow end and on the tanning ledge. This has been going on since I got the pool.

I have only had to shock it once last spring due to a storm that blew a couple of trees worth of pollen into the pool. Outside of that, the numbers have been stable. I just tested this evening and the chlorine looks fine:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
TC: 4.5
PH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 220
CYA 30

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am looking to do the over night test tonight, but do not expect to see a loss as the numbers have been very stable and predictable. The water is crystal clear. Temps have been rising and water is at about 80 degrees.

I would love to hear ideas, as I have the exact same problem. My water is clearer than it has ever been before, but I still have junk collecting at the bottom that puffs up when I brush.

jblizzle said:
Could just be dust and dirt that settles on the bottom as well ... we got a lot of that here in Tucson.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. There's a big horsefarm with a lot of dirt pastures about a quarter mile from my house. Our patio furniture is always really dirty/dusty. Plus, I only lost 1ppm FC all day today, and that's with full sun for about 8 hours.

jblizzle said:
Could just be dust and dirt that settles on the bottom as well ... we got a lot of that here in Tucson.

Thats what I was going to suggest as well. My vac doesn't get on the steps or the baja shelf. So I have to maually sweep those. I would suggest running the vac more or if you have an infloor system you might want to make sure it's working properly.

I'm learning that farms nearby to pools mean your pool will never be clean. I know it's true because I was "shocking" the pool to treat for what I thought was algae, but then I noticed the same stuff on the top rails and on my screen door. The farmer is planting right now so it adds to the dust.

Try shocking and then see if it clears up. Or put a bucket of h2o outside with a little bleach and see if you collect the same stuff.

Hope it's just dirt!

I am guilty of not brushing my pool as regularly as I should. Dirt collects on the baja shelf and around the underwater stools at the swim-up bar, and so when I do go to brush it, I get the brownish clouds you are referring to.
I'm not guilty however of watching my chemical readings - I don't have any algae or other items causing a rise in CC.
I think what you are seeing is just dust/dirt collecting on the pool floor, based on the fact that you don't seem to be losing FC as if something is growing.

I passed the OCLT last night. I also put on a pair of goggles and inspected the spots. They look like rust spots. I got a SS brush and scrubbed, and they did not come up, only faded. I think they are probably the result of metal object being thrown in the pool by my kids, or possibly stains from oak leaves? Anyhow, I do not think I have algae at this point.

I brush every week to two, so probably just need to hit it more frequently. I notice the "dust" only in the shallow end and on the benches. The vac does not travel in the shallow very often. Not sure why that is, but never makes it up the hill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.