Sacramento area, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hi, this is our first year with a pool, completed in Feb of this year. We had solar heat installed back in March. As fall season is coming, the guy that installed our solar has a service where he “closes” solar down for the season. Back in March he said it would cost $200 at the end of the swim season and then another $200 to get going again next year. With inflation, I’m sure these prices have gone up. Not sure what he does or what there is to be done but wondering if anyone has any insight on the process.

We are in Sacramento, CA area. The panels are on the second story of our house. We are not “closing” our pool because we have our attached spa that we will still use. You can hear the solar drain every time it shuts off so I’m just curious on what actually needs to be done and if it’s worth it to pay him to do it or figure it out ourselves.

Thank you in advance!

You can do it yourself and $200 is ridiculous.

Go up to the panels and look for a valve or hose bibb, or maybe two of them. Open them all the way and the water will drain out. Leave the valves open all winter and close them when you restart solar in the spring. This is a freeze prevention measure. And of course disable solar in whatever automation or solar controller you have.

My own system has 2 hose bibbs; one high and one low. I open them both at the end of the season. Air goes in the higher bibb and water drains out the lower one. There is still a lot of water still in there even though, as you say, the panels drain after each use. This process drains them more completely and, with the valves open, allows for expansion of any small amount of remaining water. If you have hose bibbs and don't want pool water draining down your roof, you can of course attach a garden hose and redirect the water.

Reactions: mynite
Hi, this is our first year with a pool, completed in Feb of this year. We had solar heat installed back in March. As fall season is coming, the guy that installed our solar has a service where he “closes” solar down for the season. Back in March he said it would cost $200 at the end of the swim season and then another $200 to get going again next year. With inflation, I’m sure these prices have gone up. Not sure what he does or what there is to be done but wondering if anyone has any insight on the process.

We are in Sacramento, CA area. The panels are on the second story of our house. We are not “closing” our pool because we have our attached spa that we will still use. You can hear the solar drain every time it shuts off so I’m just curious on what actually needs to be done and if it’s worth it to pay him to do it or figure it out ourselves.

Thank you in advance!
After doing the items Rocket J Squirrel mentioned, be sure to close any isolation valves that may/should be in the system. They can be ball valves or 2-way Jandy-type valves. Be sure to open them next Spring.

Reactions: mynite
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.