Closing - SLAM Level with Autocover?

DIYLinerPool

Well-known member
Sep 28, 2020
63
Chicago (West Suburbs), IL
Pool Size
16000
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all - I asked a similar question before but want to get more clarification. I am using my auto cover as my winter cover - should I still bring the FC up to full SLAM level when closing? Reason I ask is I know a lot of people drain some water after doing this, I won't be draining any water as I need it to support the cover, so my FC won't drop quite as much since I won't be draining anything. Just wondering if I should still use the same recommendation of bringing to SLAM level 2-3 days before closing or bring it to a different level, like 1/2 of SLAM.

Thanks for the help!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Leebo

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
11,558
NY
You want as much FC as you can get going forward. It’s insurance FC to make it to when the water is cold enough that the algae goes dormant. We all close and Mother Nature sometimes warms back up in a few weeks when she shouldn’t have.

So ideally you’d SLaM and close at the same time, but if your schedule leaves you open for a few days it’s not the end of the world with little daily loss right now
 

DIYLinerPool

Well-known member
Sep 28, 2020
63
Chicago (West Suburbs), IL
Pool Size
16000
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As Newdude said we may still get some warm temps. I'll leave my cover closed and let the FC drift down on its own.
Ok thanks. I was going to close this weekend but right now the water temp is hovering around 63 degrees. After today temps will drop in the 50s as the high so I will probably wait another week until the water temp gets into the 50s. Not like its much work keeping it open another week.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Newdude

DIYLinerPool

Well-known member
Sep 28, 2020
63
Chicago (West Suburbs), IL
Pool Size
16000
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok thanks. I was going to close this weekend but right now the water temp is hovering around 63 degrees. After today temps will drop in the 50s as the high so I will probably wait another week until the water temp gets into the 50s. Not like its much work keeping it open another week.
I bring mine up to slam level for a couple of days prior to closing. I blow the lines and don't lower the water level when I close. The auto cover is my winter cover.
Do you ever have to add water over the winter due to evaporation? Right now with my water temp down to 63 i am still noticing some evaporation, not much but some.
 

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
11,558
NY
I’m sure I lost water to evaporation but it was always dwarfed by what I accumulated with rain by the next time I checked it. The 3 of us are close enough in general latitudes and weather patterns and should behave similar with a permeable cover.

A tarp / solid cover would stop both the evap and the pool accumulating rain. You’d still have to pump, just above and not below. 👍
 
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread