Kelowna
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
This year will be my first close. I am waiting on a winter cover that will like arrive in early November. I live in Canada, and it is likely going to be around-5 Celsius when I close. I have a gas heater so I can keep that on intermittently to prevent it from freezing, but I'm concerned that once I do the partial drain before getting the lines blown out there will be a period of time with no heat or water running through the lines. Is this too risky? Should I close and put a tarp over the pool while I wait for the winter cover? Thanks for any advice.

I would close now and redo the cover when it comes. One year summer went right through to winter so I kept using my boat. I laughed all the way up to the cold snap when I was winterizing the boat while freezing. Playing with the water will be no fun at -5C. You can stay dry if you're only replacing the cover.

Using a gas heater intermittently with cold water can cause corrosive condensation that can damage the heater. Most heater manuals warn against intermittent use with water below 60F or so. With no signature about your equipment I don't know what heater you have. Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Read Heater Condensation - Further Reading

Using a gas heater intermittently with cold water can cause corrosive condensation that can damage the heater. Most heater manuals warn against intermittent use with water below 60F or so. With no signature about your equipment I don't know what heater you have. Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Read Heater Condensation - Further Reading
Thanks for the heads up- I definitely don't want to damage the heater. I have a Hayward H-series 150 BTU and I've currently got it set to 65 with the pump running continuously and a solar blanket on. The temperature is above freezing now but by the time I am closing it will definitely be going below freezing at night and possibly just above during the day

I would close now and redo the cover when it comes. One year summer went right through to winter so I kept using my boat. I laughed all the way up to the cold snap when I was winterizing the boat while freezing. Playing with the water will be no fun at -5C. You can stay dry if you're only replacing the cover.
Yes, I'm not looking forward to that. Even at 7 degrees now I'm dreading pool maintenance. Do you think a tarp with weights on the deck would work? I'm worried it will be a soaked leaf covered mess that will be hard to get off...

Do you think a tarp with weights on the deck would work?
No weights. If the wind catches the tarp they get tossed in the pool. Use 5 gallon buckets/milk jugs/ whatever you can get cheap full of water so if they end up in the pool they float.
I'm worried it will be a soaked leaf covered mess that will be hard to get off...
It almost certainly will be, but you can pump the cover to make it easier. If you don’t already have a pump, you will need one for future use anyway so it’s not a one time thing. You can also rent a small pump at Home improvement stores

You do not need a cover to close the pool, go ahead and close it now, blow out the lines and do everything except the cover (whenever the water is below 60 degrees).. install the cover when you get it...

Thanks for the heads up- I definitely don't want to damage the heater. I have a Hayward H-series 150 BTU and I've currently got it set to 65 with the pump running continuously and a solar blanket on. The temperature is above freezing now but by the time I am closing it will definitely be going below freezing at night and possibly just above during the day

Your heater manual is at https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/UHS-OwnersManual011717-RevJ.pdf

Page 12 says -

WINTERIZATION: In moderate climates, the heater can continue to operate during short-term cold spells. Do not use the heater to maintain the water temperature just above freezing or for freeze protection. Care must be taken to avoid freeze-up in the heater. When it is used during freezing weather, the pump must run continuously. The heater is not warranted against freeze-ups. In regions where freezing temperatures are encountered, all water must be drained from the heater when it is out of service, to prevent damage to the heater and piping. Draining the heat exchanger is recommended as part of the season’s shutdown procedures

You do not need a cover to close the pool, go ahead and close it now, blow out the lines and do everything except the cover (whenever the water is below 60 degrees).. install the cover when you get it...
I have over 20 trees in my yard dropping leaves and needles though!

Your heater manual is at https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/UHS-OwnersManual011717-RevJ.pdf

Page 12 says -

WINTERIZATION: In moderate climates, the heater can continue to operate during short-term cold spells. Do not use the heater to maintain the water temperature just above freezing or for freeze protection. Care must be taken to avoid freeze-up in the heater. When it is used during freezing weather, the pump must run continuously. The heater is not warranted against freeze-ups. In regions where freezing temperatures are encountered, all water must be drained from the heater when it is out of service, to prevent damage to the heater and piping. Draining the heat exchanger is recommended as part of the season’s shutdown procedures
Thanks. I think i turn the heater off and just keep the pump running until I close. With the solar blanket on at night and Temps above freezing in the day I'm thinking it will be okay for the next couple of weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.