Closing an above ground metal frame (Coleman) pool

komo50

Aug 23, 2016
Wilmington, MA
Hi. I'm looking for a little guidance. I have a metal frame above ground pool (Coleman) and for the first time I'm going to leave it up instead of taking it down. I was told to leave it half full with water. Right now the water is pretty black (there are some leaves in it). Could that stain the liner? If I emptied it, would it be ok for the winter (I'm not covering it)? If it snows, it'll snow on the outside AND inside so I would think the snow outside the pool wouldn't collapse it in since there would be snow inside as well.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Thanks,

- Stew

Do not empty the pool, it will collapse and be ruined.

I leave mine up for the winter, I lower the water about 12” or so (just below the thru wall skimmer I installed) and cover the pool.

I can’t comment on the liner being stained as my pool opens as clear as I close, but I’ve seen some pretty nasty Intex style pools cleared up with no staining issues.

Here is mine this past May, still frozen:
IMG_9689.jpg

Reactions: Zedhead
I also leave mine up, much like Dom I drain down below my skimmer, add the last of my bleach, cover then call it a season.
First year I used Intex cover, lots of leaves and road dirt in the spring.
Second year no cover, lots of leaves and road dirt.
New cover this year floating on an upside down solar cover, we will see in the spring.
My worst fear is a powerful wind when my pool is empty or near empty, but the only time it was empty was the first hour after I set it up, three years ago.

Just finished yesterday. The leaf net comes off once the trees are bare.

I have been holding FC at 30% of CYA since Monday, Thursday it went to 40% (shock level) and was maintained there until I disconnected the plumbing and put on the winter cover.

IMG_1038.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.