Apr 27, 2021
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon all,
Would it be too early to close up for the year, In the past I usually close in Nov. and I was going to wait for the water temp to get a bit lower than it’s current temp of 67 before I toss in some Polyquat 60 and shut it down.
Current levels are below. I’m only second guessing it because if I wait a bit longer I would have to top off my water level and I don’t know if that’s going to throw my levels off. Only chemicals I have left are about 2 quarts of liquid chlorine & half a gallon of MA. My last trip to the Pool store will be to return the empty jugs and pickup antifreeze.
FC 6
PH7 7.5
TA 70
CH 350
CYA 40
CSI -0.28
Temp 67

Good afternoon all,
Would it be too early to close up for the year, In the past I usually close in Nov. and I was going to wait for the water temp to get a bit lower than it’s current temp of 67 before I toss in some Polyquat 60 and shut it down.
Current levels are below. I’m only second guessing it because if I wait a bit longer I would have to top off my water level and I don’t know if that’s going to throw my levels off. Only chemicals I have left are about 2 quarts of liquid chlorine & half a gallon of MA. My last trip to the Pool store will be to return the empty jugs and pickup antifreeze.
FC 6
PH7 7.5
TA 70
CH 350
CYA 40
CSI -0.28
Temp 67
Hardware stores usually sell the antifreeze for a lot less than the pool store. My pool is at 62 and I’ll probably close it next week. The longer you wait the better it is for keeping algae out, but 67 and dropping isn’t too bad.

Reactions: Envieddesigns
Hardware stores usually sell the antifreeze for a lot less than the pool store. My pool is at 62 and I’ll probably close it next week. The longer you wait the better it is for keeping algae out, but 67 and dropping isn’t too bad.
What’s a good brand and which hardware store for the AF?

I see two types, one about 3 & change with Ethyl Alc. where reviews are mixed yes you can use and no it’s toxic for pool use & one that’s 6 & change Propylene glycol, glycerin free.

I see two types, one about 3 & change with Ethyl Alc. where reviews are mixed yes you can use and no it’s toxic for pool use & one that’s 6 & change Propylene glycol, glycerin free.
You want glycerine free. A bunch of them also say “non-toxic” Or biodegradable which is what you want. Most of it is about $3/gallon around here. Mine even says its for pools.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all,
FC 6
PH7 7.5
TA 70
CH 350
CYA 40
CSI -0.28
Temp 67
The nights this week will be very cool. You may see your water 60° very soon.

You want glycerine free. A bunch of them also say “non-toxic” Or biodegradable which is what you want. Most of it is about $3/gallon around here. Mine even says its for pools.
Found at local hardware store splash rv&marine AF at $3 & change a gal as you mentioned. These things were $9 at the PS. In my 14 yrs owning my pool I’ve never spent less on a closing than I did this year. Forget closing the whole season maintaining as well. Thanks to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.