Clearing a swamp pool - need help!

Any thought to his low (no) CYA reading could be due to ammonia, especially considering that the pool had been "left to its own devices" for nearly three years? I'm no expert, but from what I have read on this forum couldn't it be a possibility?

Ok, today I went back to pinch-a-penny with another water sample. Today they said it was 25ppm, which would make sense. I am still not getting above 30 on my test, but the water is a little cloudy when i look at the dot. I can still see the dot at 30 though.

I added the CYA as granules to the skimmer basket. I added 6lbs.

The guy at the store is saying that the water is green because I added so much hose water to the pool. I basically drained a lot of water and then added new water with all the vacuuming to waste. Our city water makes things rust very easily. I know this because I battle it in the bathroom tub and toilet on a weekly basis. So he recommended I add calcium and a metal free solution. Does this sound legit?

I do know we had a black stain all over the fiberglass stairs in the beginning and vitamin c was the only thing that removed the stain. I believe that indicates it was a mineral stain.

Thank you mknauss, I tried those websites but I don't think they sell the products, they seem to be manufacturers. There are no prices or links to resellers or agents.

Call them. They will tell you how to get their products.

Take care

**UDATE**

It's been about 2 week of running the pump with a sock over the return, filled with poly fill. Every day I change out the poly fill and every day it's full of yucky brown stuff. Now the pool looks like this:

IMG_0935.JPG

http://bit.ly/2wuAnjw

It's much better and much bluer, and the only real difference is the poly fill, so I do think I had/have a metal problem. There is still some green cloudiness in the deep end that I can't quite get rid of. And it looks like my filter might be leaking sand into the pool. I can't decide if it's sand or algae though... When I vacuum near it, it goes up into a plume and seems to disappear. But when the robotic vacuum runs it is collecting quite a bit of sand in it's basket every time it runs.

This is what it looks like around the return (that's my sock with poly fill in it):
IMG_0937.JPG

http://bit.ly/2vl5HMx

and this is what the deep end looks like. Every day there is that line around the perimeter of the deep end. Is it sand? algae? I can't tell.
IMG_0938.JPG

http://bit.ly/2xp2f52

My FC level is 12.
CYA at 25 (I am going to bring this up more but I'm waiting on the sock to be finished so it doesn't catch all the CYA I add)
pH is 7.6

And the sand in my filter was just changed in July. We checked the laterals when we changed out the sand and didn't see any cracks or holes at the time. The spider gasket was questionable at the time. Could that be letting sand through?

Last edited:
The solids are dead algae. Now it is a SLAM Process to the end. Test and dose with chlorine as often as you can. Every few hours when possible.

As long as you have been at it you might want to let your FC drop to below 10, test the pH, and immediately take the FC back to shock and add enough acid to adjust your ph to 7.2, if necessary.

This may take a while --

A sand filter will take longer to clear it. Be sure to wait until your filter pressure rises 25% above clean before backwashing. A slightly dirty sand filter filters better than a clean one.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.