Clear water.......until I brush. Test results posted

Jeremy, if you had a DE filter I would have said that was DE that has gotten back into the pool, settled onto the bottom then is disturbed. I see in your signature you have a sand filter. So being DE may be out.

I would use muriatic acid to lower your pH. Use pool math and your water volume to know how much to use.

Probably paint chalking up.

This is why I advise against paint.

The only fix is to remove everything to a solid surface and redo.

If you rub the paint with your hands or feet, do you get a white color left on your skin?

JR, I'm at a disatvantage as I can't see the video right now. Assuming it was closed for winter, how long since you opened the pool? Did you heppen to get a CC reading? If it was closed, I would be curious to kno w the CC to see if the chlorine was battling residual product like antifreeze. Might also be good to know your filter PSI. What is it now compared to a recent (clean) backwash? I'm assuming you're still treating the pool as a non-SWG until the temp increases for your SWG correct? Any chance that FC dropped too low recently? The water temp of 57 should keep alage from growing too fast, but you never know, especially if you've heated things up lately with the heater. Gelcoat still look good? No chance of it changing on you?

Swimming in 57 degree water? Yikes! :swim: Hat's-off to you. :salut:

JR, I'm at a disatvantage as I can't see the video right now. Assuming it was closed for winter, how long since you opened the pool? Did you heppen to get a CC reading? If it was closed, I would be curious to kno w the CC to see if the chlorine was battling residual product like antifreeze. Might also be good to know your filter PSI. What is it now compared to a recent (clean) backwash? I'm assuming you're still treating the pool as a non-SWG until the temp increases for your SWG correct? Any chance that FC dropped too low recently? The water temp of 57 should keep alage from growing too fast, but you never know, especially if you've heated things up lately with the heater. Gelcoat still look good? No chance of it changing on you?

Swimming in 57 degree water? Yikes! :swim: Hat's-off to you. :salut:

Thanks for the response. I opened the pool on Mar 29th. I did not check CC. Filter PSI is around 13psi and doesnt change much one way or the other. I was treating with bleach but the SWG is now doings its job. The FC was 0 until a SLAM and is now at 4ppm steady. What is Gelcoat?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is Gelcoat?
Your sig shows fiberglass hybrid, so I was asking in case the fiberglass gelcoat surface might be damaged. But it sounds like the paint may be your main issue right now. James has you covered. Good luck!

Reactions: february17th
Paint used to be good until they changed the formulation to meet new "Low VOC" standards.

They removed all of the strong solvents and replaced them with water so that the paint wouldn't release solvent fumes as it dried.

This was an incredibly bad decision because the "water based" paint just dissolves when you put it under water.

Clear water until someone swims or I brush. Cloudy water for days after. Thoughts? I am going to be lowering my PH today by adding 4lbs of CYA.

I'm just passin' through, but is it okay to add CYA to reduce pH? Or did you mean MA?

I plugged your numbers into pool math and was surprised at the results. 4 lbs would raise CYA by 19 ppm also lower pH by .36

Yes, it is cyanuric acid and I wasn’t thinking about that because I have only used liquid stabilizer which has negligible effect on pH. I am glad I saw this thread so that next time if I use solid stabilizer, I’ll have to consider where the pH level is first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.