Cleaning up mess previous owners left me

I figured that out after the first time I did it and used a million drops :) I can see the 25ml sample would be more beneficial for doing an accurate CC count, because the multiplier is more precise, and CC has a smaller range.

I thought I read somewhere that CC was an indicator that there's still something in your pool that the FC was killing, so during SLAM if the water is still green, wouldn't I want to see CC above 0? Except for the first test after I started SLAM, when it was 1.0, it's been < .5, even 0, each test.

The pic on the left is before I drained and started SLAMing, the right is now. IMG_4438.JPG

Not having CC is not a big deal. They burn off with sun on the pool. And at your stage, you no longer have overwhelming organics that the chlorine is consuming.

So 3.5 days into this, the water doesn't look as clear as I expected. It's much better, but it still has a greenish tint to it. Is this the normal progression? I've brought the FC back to shock level multiple times, and I am checking about 4 times a day.

I'm also noticing, now that I can actually see the bottom pretty well, that there is a lot of brown stain on the liner. I thought it was sand, as my vacuum has been picking up some sand, but I can't brush it off. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Do you have iron in your fill water? Or have you been using copper containing products in the past?

I don't know. I have city water, that's what I filled the pool with. As far as what products were used in the past, I don't know what the previous owners did (or did not) do....

I also don't know how old the pool is or if they replaced the sand in the sand filter, so maybe I need to do that?

Even with city water, you can have iron. But a layer of paper towels in the skimmer basket. See if they turn brown.

OK so I passed all the tests. The water is clear (I can see the words on my vacuum at the bottom crystal clear). I think the problem is the dirty liner....that’s what’s discoloring the water. There are brown stains all over the liner. I thought at first it was sand....my vacuum even picked up some....but if I brush it, nothing comes up so I think it’s a stain. Any way to clean this with water in it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried the vitamin C test. The same stain is in the side so I just reached in and scrubbed.....didn’t do anything. Here’s a decent picture of what it looks like34796CDE-1370-4A68-8A3F-FB70EB081760.jpeg

Rough would be calcium scale with algae/metals/dirt embedded in it. Smooth would imply copper staining as you have tested for iron.

Have you added copper in the past? Algaecides, products with 'Blue' in their name, any 'ionizers'?

Yes, the products was originally using (the clorox brand) all has 'Blue' in their name.

Plus the previous owners could have used something like that as well. The stain has been there since I was able to see the bottom, so I don't know how long it's been there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.