Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I noticed pressure, (any pressure!), maybe 1.5 psig, on my filter at 1050 RPM. I looked at the VSP and the power had increased as well (68 Watts vs ~55 Watts). I thought it was time to clean the filters. I found my "old" filters and decided I needed to do a soak on those before using them.

I ended up just cleaning my pool filters and putting them back. They were not too bad. My spring filter cleaning was BAD. I do not know how long I went, but they actually smelled! Like dog poop!!!

I was reading through some of the filter cleaning threads. I like the idea that as long as the pleats are in good shape, you can fix the rings with hot melt glue.

See below. Lots of bug parts and magnolia blossom parts. I expect I will be getting less "sand" from my sandstone/flagstone. The pool robot is picking that up instead of just flinging it around in the water.

filters before and after.jpg

Here are my old filters which have been in the garage for a few years. I decided I need to soak these first. I 1/2 filled the trashcan and used "Power Soak", only because I had it on hand. It suspiciously smells like old dishwasher detergent. I'll flip them after an hour. I already see some white Crud coming out of the filters. If they clean up well, I may swap these into the pool and then soak the ones that have been in service.

filter soak.jpg

Reactions: markayash
I have a weak electric pressure cleaner with a wide sprayer. Gets a lot of extra Crud out that gets stuck between the pleats. Just have to be very careful and not use a strong one and always aim down :)
It’s pretty weak, I rinse by feet off when done cleaning.

I use an Aqua Comb and it works very well. I need to do a vinegar soak to clean the holes. My pressure washer is a gasoline 3600 psi unit...

aqua comb.jpg

I have that one..Sprayed with a mild simple green and cleaned and was shocked what the pressure washer got out after ..
I don't use it everytime, about every 3rd time but it does a lot better job and is faster

Power washing didn't work for me. Surface gunk only, not deep down. I run one of these down every pleat, every section, every cartridge. Total pain, but that's worked better than other things I've tried (including soaking). Open to suggestions, for sure!

shopping.png
I built a little stand of sorts, just some ABS and a tee fitting to hold the cartridge vertically where I can sit in front of it, rotate the cartridge and plod along.

cleaning station.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
I can say after following the TFP and getting a SWG my filter cleaning has got a lot easier..More washing off dirt then algae and other nasty stuff in the filter.
I could also be a skimmer sock sales person..Then trap a lot of the yellow gunk we get in the Spring.I take them out around july

Put my "old" filters into the system and have reduced my "startup" 3450 RPM head to about 11.5 psi. So far so good. It looks like they were the ones which had DE added (thanks stupid pool store). The soak seemed to help remove some of the DE. After I repair my regular set, I will probably do a long soak on these. This time, I'll use cheapo Kroger dishwasher detergent.

I took my running filters and I soaked them for 3 days. The water/detergent was very murky after. The filters look a LOT better and the water ran clean on washing them. I'm letting those dry so I can fix the bands with the hot melt glue as suggested in another thread.

I am definitely stealing this idea. I have a huge amount of 2" pipe because I needed 6" for a repair but HomeDespot only sells 10 foot sections. I just need a 2" tee

I built a little stand of sorts, just some ABS and a tee fitting to hold the cartridge vertically where I can sit in front of it, rotate the cartridge and plod along.

View attachment 162440

So I started looking at the Aqua Comb. It is not scale. It is some sort of organic matter, like algae??? Anyway, I'm soaking it in bleach...

g

I am definitely stealing this idea. I have a huge amount of 2" pipe because I needed 6" for a repair but HomeDespot only sells 10 foot sections. I just need a 2" tee
I think mine is 2-1/2. And then the O.D. of the fittings increase the diameter even more. I found the snugger the outside of the stand is to the inside of the cartridge, the less it flops around as you're working and turning it. That's why I put a cap on top. The OD diameter that works best for your cartridges will depend on the diameter of their inside tunnel, so 2" might be fine once you add the fittings. I think I dragged my cartridge down to Lowes so I could get the best fit.

Last edited:
I think I dragged my cartridge down to Lowes so I could get the best fit.
They have these new devices, call measuring tapes...

Actually, I have a nice digital caliper too. And I have WAY TOO MUCH 2" pipe....About 9 feet 6 inches too much...

• Haha
Reactions: markayash and Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.