Gold Supporter
Jul 25, 2011
Durant, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! I’m replacing my old hayward super pump motor with a VS motor. When taking it all apart, there is lots of “funk” on the impeller shaft, seal plate and mounting plate. It’s probably mostly salt, but who knows. Can I safely clean this off without damaging anything? Or should I just replace it all? I already have new shafts, seals and gaskets to replace, but I’d really like to clean all this mess off first if that’s possible. If cleaning it is okay, what cleaner should I use? TIA!

Could be salt, could be calcium scale. What have you tried cleaning it with?

Hard to say what to do without seeing it. Post some pics.

Ugh... I didn’t take pictures before. I currently have it all soaking in vinegar/water. I just know parts of the drive train are really sensitive and didn’t want to use anything that would harm them. The vinegar looks like it has dissolved most of it already!

Vinegar has a pH of approximately 2.40 to 3.40. I suspect you have calcium scale. After seeing pics I was going to suggest using a mild acidic solution on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.