Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Ok, so I bought a Polaris Quattro from Leslies (because I wanted white) in the spring, I've been fighting with this thing all summer and talking with Leslie's. Finally they were trying to get Polaris to replace it but now they won't. They will give me store credit and the guy is telling me that pressure cleaners are far better than robots because they are made for every day cleaning and robots are for the once a week clean and they don't last very long. Then I tell him about my pool and how I get a ton of acorns and they rip through the pressure cleaner bags. anyway, can someone tell me what I should be getting? My pool is not large, maybe 15,000 gallons, but I have a canopy of trees over it and lots of debris particularly pollen in May and acorns and leaves and everything in Sept-Oct. I use my cleaner daily but I'm hoping for something to clean in a couple hours and not running it all day long. Also disappointing is that they don't service Maytronics so i'd have to send it back with any issues. He also said robots aren't great in cooler water. Now I heat at least to 70 for the SWG in May and October if it's not swimmable weather but it's heavy debris during that time.

Last edited:
Pressure cleaners are relics of a by-gone era. Pool stores exist to clean out your wallet. Both should be avoided.

Majority here at TFP, myself included, run Maytronic-built robots. Superior cleaning ability, easy to use, few moving parts and one to two hour cleaning cycles at very minor electrical usage.

Marina Pool and Spa in Colorado offers great service and low prices compared to your local shop.

I realize you all buy from them, but I can't, as I have a large $800 credit at Leslies because I wanted the white Quattro. Do you have a recommendation for a Maytronics robot for my pool? that's what I'm looking for. thanks!

I realize you all buy from them, but I can't, as I have a large $800 credit at Leslies because I wanted the white Quattro. Do you have a recommendation for a Maytronics robot for my pool? that's what I'm looking for. thanks!
There’s a whole lot of them that are basically the same - just different color schemes. I’d recommend one with both filters (rough and fine) and the caddy if you plan to take out of the pool regularly. Bluetooth and WiFi options are gimmicks; avoid if you’d like.

You might consider still buying from Marina as you can save a few hundred dollars or more.. and use the Leslie’s credits to buy liquid chlorine or other needed items.

I almost never buy chlorine. I only really buy salt and and $800 is a ton of salt that I'd prefer not to drive to Leslies for. Plus, she hardly has any stock right now. I'm not sure what leslie's can get either though..

This is probably a good option - without caddy and extra fine filter. But would do the trick - equivalent to a S200.

Dolphin - Proteus DX4 Robotic Pool Cleaner with PowerStream Technology​

This is probably a good option - without caddy and extra fine filter. But would do the trick - equivalent to a S200.

Dolphin - Proteus DX4 Robotic Pool Cleaner with PowerStream Technology​

Yeah I looked at that one as they had one in stock the other day, it does say it has a fine and ultra fine filter.

Sorry. I said fine filter, when I meant the rough filter. You’ll want to use the pleated filters in the basket, then this rough filter can help keep heavy debris out of the filter pleats.

I can't figure out from the OP what the problem is with the Quattro. OP complains the acorns "rip through the pressure cleaner bags" but the Quattro doesn't use bags, it has hard plastic filters which should easily withstand acorns.

I have a Leslie's Quattro (but no acorns) and it took me several days to fine-tune it for my pool. I needed to convince it to spend more time on the floor and less on the walls.

I'd be happy to provide help with the Quattro if you still have it, @EmilyOTR .

I can't figure out from the OP what the problem is with the Quattro. OP complains the acorns "rip through the pressure cleaner bags" but the Quattro doesn't use bags, it has hard plastic filters which should easily withstand acorns.

I have a Leslie's Quattro (but no acorns) and it took me several days to fine-tune it for my pool. I needed to convince it to spend more time on the floor and less on the walls.

I'd be happy to provide help with the Quattro if you still have it, @EmilyOTR .
You tried to help me earlier this summer but I did everything you told me to and nothing worked. I had the same issue, the quattro would climb the walls the whole time.
the acorn ripping the bags - I said that because the Leslie's guy was telling me pressure cleaners are better than robots, so i told him I hated the stupid bags.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oops, I remember now, sorry for the memory lapse. For me, reducing the pressure going to the Quattro did the trick. My 1HP booster pump provides too much pressure and so I let a lot of water out through the pressure relief valve in the wall fitting. There's a sweet spot where it still climbs, but not as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.