Bronze Supporter
Mar 16, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We moved into the house which had a pool in June 2020 and the Filter had not been cleaned since we moved in. When we first moved in the PSI was approx 9 PSI. As of 4 weeks ago the pressure was 19 PSI so I decided to clean it on one afternoon. I followed the steps listed in a few youtube videos

Youtube Link 1
Youtube Link 2
How to Clean Filter (Instructables)

I only used water to clean the filters and did not soak the filters in TSP nor did I give them a Muriatic Acid wash to clean them. Upon taking the filters out (after draining the filter), I noticed that the bottom manifold that holds the cartridges was cracked. I did not replace it. I proceeded to hose down the filters and removed as much of the dirt/leaves from the cartridges and placed everything back together and turned the pump on while keeping the manual valve open to let air escape as water fills the filter. Once a good stream of water started coming out, I closed the manual valve and let the pump come to full prime.

I noticed that the PSI stayed at 19 PSI. Should the pressure have come down after cleaning it? I'm currently SLAMing the pool. Should I clean the filter once the SLAM process is complete? Should I use TSP or Muriatic Acid to clean and should I replace the bottom manifold which was cracked? Will that help bring the PSI down?

Yes, clean the filter after the SLAM.

Are you sure the pressure gauge is not faulty? Does it go to zero with pump off?

If you do not know the history of the filters it would be wise to purchase new ones.

If the manifold is cracked it needs replaced.

The gauge goes to zero when the pump is off.
I'll proceed with cleaning out the filter and ordering a new bottom manifold. Does TFP recommend soaking filters in TSP?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.