Clean canister of cartridge filters?

eldender

Silver Supporter
Jun 27, 2018
Canada
We cleaned our cartridge filters last night. I noticed the canister they sit in has some really gross filthy water in the bottom of the canister. Should I be cleaning that? If so...how?

You have a Clean and Clear +, the drain plug is on the bottom it has an O ring on it, clean that and apply super lube and reinstall... :)

Slightly off topic..... The ring I use to screw the top part of the cartridge housing to the bottom gets stuck from time to time. Is there a lubricant I can use, or will o-ring lube work here too?

Hayward Jack's lube also. They are amazing drip stoppers. Use rubber gloves (now that we all have them). It goes on like vaseline and is just as hard to get off.

I never open the drain plug on my CCP520.
  • The dirty water would just drain onto my equipment pad and then I'd have to clean it up.
  • The plug is hard to reach thanks to its awkward placement.
  • I was once warned that it's easy to strip the threads or warp the shell if too much torque is applied.
I use a shop vac to suck out the dirty water at the bottom, then dispose of the water elsewhere in my yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I never open the drain plug on my CCP520.
  • The dirty water would just drain onto my equipment pad and then I'd have to clean it up.
  • The plug is hard to reach thanks to its awkward placement.
  • I was once warned that it's easy to strip the threads or warp the shell if too much torque is applied.
I use a shop vac to suck out the dirty water at the bottom, then dispose of the water elsewhere in my yard.
I'm with ya. One of these days I'm going to finish my "drain hole to hose thread" conversion idea. Not sure if using a valve there is a good idea or not (though I have other hose bibs on my pad that are under the same amount of pressure). I may just do thread adapters. I want to route where that water ends up, not dump it onto my pad and sidewalk. Maybe the manufacturer determined that a hose fitting is too small, but I wish that's how they made 'em.

I'm with ya. One of these days I'm going to finish my "drain hole to hose thread" conversion idea
I was going to do this this year. But we sold the house so it got scrubbed. The new pool build will get an elbow at the bottom of the filter and a valve instead of the drain plug. I believe that running the water past the filter before exiting and not through it will act like a quasi backwash feature. It probably won’t thoroughly clean the filters but if it gets the big junk off then it would still help.

SuperLube is the greatest thing since sliced bread for O rings and I believe it will work for your filter.. :)

That product isn’t compatible with some rubber types, including the type commonly used in O rings used in pool equipment

This would be a better choice

Super Lube 56204 O-Ring Silicone Lubricant, Clear Amazon.com: Super Lube 56204 O-Ring Silicone Lubricant, Clear: Industrial & Scientific

Reactions: cowboycasey
Good catch. And someone above used the words "like vaseline." They weren't suggesting to use vaseline, just describing the process. But to be clear, never use any petroleum-based lube on your water-exposed pool equipment, especially your o-rings.

Thanks you so much... I am happy to report it did nothing to my pump and filter o rings but I will change to make sure...

Vaseline will appear to work fine at first. It's a long-term thing, it breaks down the 0-ring material over time...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.