Jurate1

Apr 22, 2021
Tucson
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, I have been maintaining my Chlorine at the higher end of the range 5-7 usually 7 so that I can skip a day of adding bleach.
We do not use the pool frequently. However yesterday I did go in the pool. Levels were 7 and my skin and eyes had irritation and bathing suit was loosing color.. So two questions:

1. Although ideal range for me is 5-7 what is the number that is actually comfortable to swim in? What daily levels do others recommend?

2. I am planning a 6 day get away. This time I will have a house sitter at home. Previously I put 3 pucks in the dispenser and all was fine when I returned but Chlorine was pretty high around 10. I don't want chlorine levels so high that it would be unpleasant for her to swim and use the pool. Should I just do 1 puck and have her check it in 3 day?? Thanks in advance..

Hey Jurate !!! What’s your CYA ? If you’re following the FC/CYA Levels in target range then the pool is less chlorine-y than tap water.

There are those who are extra sensitive to chlorine though. Assuming you can bathe and shower ok, that’s not it.

swimmer irritation is usually caused by CCs with the chlorine fighting the ickies or an underlying algae issue. Or it could be high PH of 8+.

How are you testing ? Post up a reliable set of #s so we can look into it. If your answer is test strips or the pool store, then there is your answer as you really don’t know where you’re at.

Hi New Dude, I am using the Taylor kit and following chart recommendations. I test in am then add Chlorine. Yesterday FC was 6.5 then I added 1/2 c chlorine so it was probably over 7 when I went in), CC 0, CA 325, ALK 70, CYA 40, PH 7.8,

Reactions: Newdude
Sweet job Jurate !!! Everything is in range and you are diligently handling the pool. Hang tight for more thoughts. Your FC should be swimmer / equipment safe to 16 FC….. SLAM level….. 40% of CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.