CircuPool Rj45 turning itself off

jh26

May 23, 2021
Atlanta, Georgia USA
I have a CircuPool RJ45 that was here when I bought the house and has been working fine for several years. We replaced the cell in 2019.

Recently it's been switching itself to "Power Off" mode. That's all that the display says "Power Off". It is getting power and pressing the power button the unit turns it back on and it runs normally again (until the next time switches to Power Off).

The system is set up on a mechanical timer with the pool pump and is currently running for 10 hours per day. The timer switches on and off all power to the pump and the CircuPool. Previously the CircuPool has always restarted in the same mode and settings each day. Now sometimes it doesn't come back on, and just says "Power Off". Or possibly it's turning itself "off" during the run cycle, but I haven't actually seen it do that.

Any idea what's going on and any trouble shooting tips for this situation?

thanks,
Jay

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Mine is only one year old, but the Power does remain on unless I actually turn it off. If there is a power interruption, it comes back on and resumes its cycle where it left off. Since yours is several years old, I'm not sure if that's sign of aging or what. You might need to give the guys at Discount Salt Pools a quick call tomorrow to see what they have to say.

I disassembled my Rj45 controller box and found that it's 10 years old. The logic controller board has a soldered-in-place battery used to maintain the memory while the power is out, the this tiny battery is now showing less then 0.8v. This is the most likely reason why it can't remember to come back on after the timer turns the power off. Basically, this is not a replaceable item, but I have a friend with the right solder iron, so we're going to give it a try. Nothing to lose at this point, and a new system is hard to find in-stock.

Attachments

• pool control board.png
    pool control board.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 20
but I have a friend with the right solder iron, so we're going to give it a try. Nothing to lose at this point, and a new system is hard to find in-stock.
Hey, nothing a cold one can't take care of. :cheers: Curious to know of that works.

The only thing I can suggest is that you verify you have correct power at the swg controller when the timer is on. There is potential for loose connections since the pump and the swg controller are connected to the same terminals at the timer (or the physical contacts of the timer could be dirty/corroded). Other than that it seems to point to trouble in the swg controller. It might be worth a call to circupool tech support.....they may have notes of a similar trouble in the past.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.