CircuPool RJ45+ Cell Connection Error

Monty812

Jul 23, 2021
Florida
I recently purchased the RJ45+ package in May 2020 and just installed it in Late June. Since installing it, it has had an error of Cell Connection. I contacted CircuPool directly about this problem and they sent me an adaptor to install that "should" fix the problem. Got it installed and still said the same thing on the display "Cell Connection". I called them a second time to discuss the issue and they decided to ship me a NEW cell as a replacement. Got it last week and still didn't fix the problem. Called them back a third time and they sent a return label for the controller and the replacement cell. This problem occurs when plugging the unit in to Power it up. It shows "Cell Connection" whether the Cell is plugged in or disconnected. Also, The Power light is on but you cannot turn the unit off or scroll through any of the menu options. It just stays on and you have to unplug to Power it down. I received an email yesterday (July 22) and here's what they said. See below for their replay. Here are the things I've checked per installing and trying to troubleshoot.
Switched wiring to 110V
Made sure unit was completely dry per installing
Checked connection pins on the bottom of the control box to make sure they weren't pushed up
Double and triple checked direction of the Flow Switch and Cell
Has anyone had this issue and what did you end up doing to solve?

Email received

Order Notes​

Your equipment passed all tests and all readings were accurate. The equipment is 100% operational and NO parts have been found to need replacement. We could not recreate a cell connection issue.

Thanks Jay

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, that's a puzzle for sure. :scratch: We may ask some duplicate questions as well so bear with us, but at this point you're probably willing to try anything. So let's see:

- How about posting a pic of your control module install and the cell itself so we can see everything.
- Your power source is verified as 110 correct? You installed the 110V jumpers in the module as well right?
- I was going to ask about the cable, but when they shipped you a new cell it had a new cable.
- When you say they sent a label for the controller and cell, does that mean you shipped/exchanged both the cell and module?

RJ-45

In The Industry
Jun 6, 2021
Charlotte, NC
This is very common problem with the RJ series, I have replace a lot of boards this year due to this exact same symptom.

Here is just one box of the bad boards I have replaced so far this season, I don't have enough floor space in my office to lay them all out (at least 10 boxes)

RJ+Boards.jpg

RJ-45

In The Industry
Jun 6, 2021
Charlotte, NC
The picture above is just 1 box of the RJ main PCB I have replaced this year. They have very high failure rate compare to other SWG.

I have done over 10 boxes of bad circuit boards so far since March. I can not honestly recommend this product with clear conscience.

But this is only my personal experience, I have been in the industry over 20 years.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
This is the first time I have heard of any RJ failing.. no one has ever said they needed to replace a board.. They have a 7 year warranty.. are all those boards over 7 years old?

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Which circuit board is that? And where can I get one? I've got this problem also on my 3-year-old RJ45+.
Did you send it in for a replacement? They have a 7 year warranty on them?

RJ-45

In The Industry
Jun 6, 2021
Charlotte, NC
Our company service mainly VA, NC, SC, GA, those are the bad boards replaced out of RJ when customers call and have problems.

We do not sell Circupool system, but does service all brands if we can get our hands on the replacement parts.

I am sure some folks on this board have worked on more RJ system than me, so just share my own experience.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Found this post..

timjwilson

Feb 2, 2016
Arizona
Found this post..

And I just posted this over in that thread:

Going to chime in here with my recent experience. My 3-year-old Circupool RJ45+ was working fine until a week ago when stopped working, frozen on "Cell Connection" (just to be clear, when working, it shows "Cell Connection" for a few seconds after power on, but then quickly switches to "RJ series" and then normal operation. When broken, it stops on "Cell Connection" and will not advance).

I called Circupool and they suggested reconnecting everything, checking for dirt and bad pins in the connector, etc. I had already done all that but I did it again and no joy.

So they shipped me the magic module. They charged me ~$40 which I assume is list price pro-rated by the 3 years I've owned it. Would've been nice if the fix were free but $40 isn't bad. UPS chose to send it via the scenic route (Houston to New Jersey to Chicago to Tucson) so it took a few days longer to arrive than it should've. Obviously not Circupool's fault.

Once the part arrived it took me about 5 minutes to install and imagine my surprise when it actually worked!

No, I don't know what's in the magic module and I didn't ask. It is interesting that they have a fix ready for this - kind of looks like a design flaw, probably a marginal voltage threshold somewhere. But hey, it works now, so I'm happy.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

MACJO

Oct 19, 2021
TUSTIN, CA
I am having the exact same experience. RJ45+ installed 5/2020 and 17 months later with the "Cell Communication" error. Circupool says it suddenly needs an adapter for $8 and $10 shipping. Waiting to install. Has anyone found the adapter to resolve the issue?

MACJO

Oct 19, 2021
TUSTIN, CA
I recently purchased the RJ45+ package in May 2020 and just installed it in Late June. Since installing it, it has had an error of Cell Connection. I contacted CircuPool directly about this problem and they sent me an adaptor to install that "should" fix the problem. Got it installed and still said the same thing on the display "Cell Connection". I called them a second time to discuss the issue and they decided to ship me a NEW cell as a replacement. Got it last week and still didn't fix the problem. Called them back a third time and they sent a return label for the controller and the replacement cell. This problem occurs when plugging the unit in to Power it up. It shows "Cell Connection" whether the Cell is plugged in or disconnected. Also, The Power light is on but you cannot turn the unit off or scroll through any of the menu options. It just stays on and you have to unplug to Power it down. I received an email yesterday (July 22) and here's what they said. See below for their replay. Here are the things I've checked per installing and trying to troubleshoot.
Switched wiring to 110V
Made sure unit was completely dry per installing
Checked connection pins on the bottom of the control box to make sure they weren't pushed up
Double and triple checked direction of the Flow Switch and Cell
Has anyone had this issue and what did you end up doing to solve?

Email received

Order Notes​

Your equipment passed all tests and all readings were accurate. The equipment is 100% operational and NO parts have been found to need replacement. We could not recreate a cell connection issue.

Thanks Jay
They probably installed the adapter part for you. Obviously these units have a design flaw to be failing under 2 years.