circulation probs

cmdr-s

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Columbus, IN
Have just finished 2 weeks of SLAM. CC 0.5 (it was never above 1.5), and passes OCLT. Water still cloudy, perhaps 5 ft vert vis. PH isn't accurate while SLAMing; how about Alkalinity? Reads 200 now. Circulation has always been a prob. New Hayward Super Pump and motor (1HP, I think) in 2011 or 12. All new sand in '16, half sand replaced last year. Not particularly dirty. No evidence of channeling in all the times I have opened the filter. After backwashing, pressure will go to 14 psi, and stay there for days. Air in basket, filter, and at returns. Can find no suction side leaks. If I add 3/4-1 cup of DE, pressure will rise immediately to 15-16 psi, then rise to 25 over next several hours. And all bubbles go away! Backwash at that point, as flow starts to decrease. Two skimmer lines and 1 suction line for Zodiac T6. No main drain. Closing any one suction line causes some bubbles to appear, but opening it again eliminates bubbles after 30-45 seconds. On recirc, pressure is 11-12 psi, with some bubbles; worse bubbles if one valve temporarily closed. Zodiac requires a suction level of "3" to operate properly. To get that, I must shut off one and one-half skimmers, which reduces flow so much, pump cavitates. Is pump shot? Thoughts? Thanks.

First, the SLAM is not over until you have crystal clear water.

Sounds like you have a suction side air leak. Check pump basket lid gasket, orings on drain plugs, valves, unions, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.