Cinder Block Walls?

silver02gt

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Rural Southern Illinois
I was looking into building my own inground pool, I really doubt that I will unless I buy land and build a new house, but you never know. Anyway, I seen several places showing people building the walls out of regular cinder blocks. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that had any experience with this type of pool. At minimum I would like to have a 20' x 40' with 3.5-4' end for kids, with the other end sloping down to 8' or whatever is necessary to allow for diving from a diving board. Although, I would really like an L shaped pool to add an extra 20' x 10-20' to the shallow area. Thanks in advance for your knowledge!!!

Henry Porter

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 7, 2008
Sweden
That is a good choice Silver!
Without knowing for sure do I think cinderblock is the most cost effective way to build a pool.
If I should go that route myself would I choose 10" wide blocks and reinforcements in each shift.
A figure I have heard for a cinderblock wall is that you need reinforcements every 20 feet. Nothing complicated or expensive to achive, so no worries there.
Cinderblocks is a DIY project for sure. Buy yourself a cementmixer which you sell once you done. Besides for the mixer isn't there much tools you need. A couple of trowels and buckets and a good wheel barrow of course, masonry strings and a laser. Yeah a grinder so you can cut the rebars :goodjob: It's fun goes fast and turns out great :cheers:

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I would consider buying a vinyl pool kit and installing it myself. If you have a high water table, building your own pool gets much more difficult, since the hole will constantly be filling with water.

BTW, where in So. Illinois are you located? I went to high school in Carbondale.

silver02gt

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Rural Southern Illinois
Thanks for the opinions! Feel free to keep them coming.

Melt, I grew up in Ava and now live in Steeleville. That's kinda funny you went to high school in Carbondale, small world as they say!!!

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
AndyTN Testing and Balancing Your Water 7

Other Threads of Interest