Choosing a pump

jhardy93

Jun 28, 2022
Suburban Chicago IL
The forum pointed out I was responding to an old thread, but I think my question was related to this issue somewhat.

I am installing a 15x26 ft Quantum above ground pool. I have already purchased a hayward pump, SW15851x20TL with the pool package and the installer said that the equipment pad was too far away from the pool and I needed an in-ground pump instead. Similar to the original post my equipment pad is about 25 feet from the pool, should be a straight shot and I was going to bury the hard PVC pipe. But instead they are instead suggesting a SP2610x15 super pump? Has less horse power 1.5hp vs the original 2hp but designed for an in-ground pool as opposed to my above ground pool. Supposed to be able to be installed at further distance. I was just looking for any input. Somewhat of an upgrade in price, but that was not the issue. My main concern is that the SP2610x15 had to be hardwired as opposed to the planned plug in for the SW15851x20TL. I am coming to the forum because it was hard for me to find information on the pumps form the hayward website as they are now discontinued and the great escape (who I purchased the pool from) has bought all the stock and is selling them out before moving to the newer models.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You and I have similar scenarios. My equipment pad is about 25' from the pool with no elevation change. No fancy features, just pump/pad-to-pool. My installers originally installed a Waterway Supreme pump and I later purchased a Hayward PowerFlo Matrix - each basically identical to each other. They are marketed as AGP pumps, but also can work for inground applications as long as there are no unusual hydraulic demands. They are convenient because they are 115V and you can use a power cord to plug into a nearby outlet.

The Super-Pump being recommended is somewhat of a standard application for inground pools. It's been around for a while and marketed to be "self-priming" and able to pull water from an inground pool.

All can say from my own experience is that my Waterway Supreme and Hayward PowerFlo Matrix have had no problems priming or supporting my pool. If a Super-Pump fell in my lap for a good price, I might grab that one as well. It wasn't mentioned above, but you might also consider some of the newer variable speed pumps. Whichever direction you go, if you don't get a variable speed pump/motor, at least make sure it's a 2-speed so you can run it on low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.