Chlorine tab recommendations...I know, I know

Jun 24, 2017
Tyler, TX
I am starting to use these methods exposed on this site, and I am extremely grateful. My pool looks amazing. I have had a pool guy maintaining my pool for years with nowhere near these results.

I'm going to phrase my question like this...

If you HAD to use chlorine tabs, what chemical makeup would you use? Any specific brands?

I have a crazy life right now and my ability to consistently feed my pool bleach is questionable. Tabs simply seem like a more hands off approach to keeping my chlorine levels where they need to be.

CYA is currently at 35

My question about that, is my pool has never been maintained with liquid chlorine or bleach. It's always been maintained with tabs and bioguard smart shock. Yet my CYA has never gotten out of whack.

Why/how is that?

My CYA tends to hover at 35 fairly consistently. Just dumb luck?

My question about that, is my pool has never been maintained with liquid chlorine or bleach. It's always been maintained with tabs and bioguard smart shock. Yet my CYA has never gotten out of whack.

Why/how is that?

My CYA tends to hover at 35 fairly consistently. Just dumb luck?
How/who is testing to show it is 35? None of the recomend test kits can measure 35.

I would test your CYA yourself using the melamine turbidity test and not those other methods. Was your pool service company regularly backwashing and/or draining your pool?

Unfortunately the BioGuard SmartShock has copper in it, 0.26% metallic copper per 1lb bag. Depending on how much you've used over the years you could have a significant amount in your water which could start to scale and stain if you use bleach.

I would suggest you ask your pool stores to do a copper test to see where your level is at.

I second the accuracy of the ColorQ. I would still recommend the TF-100 kit, but especially for people with color vision issues, like me, the ColorQ is a great option.

Regular trichlor tabs will be your best bet. But you will need to address the climbing CYA. Adding a set amount of bleach each night is really easy once you figure out your chlorine demand over time, and getting a neighbor (trustworthy) or friends to dose while you are gone is the best alternative. But without those options trichlor pucks can come in handy... only with the side effects.

I know it's a pretty large expense to add (just recently did it), but have you thought about converting to a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG)? This produces chlorine as the pump runs and it makes the addition of bleach virtually non existent.

Just bring your CYA up to 70 and let'r rip (so to speak).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know it's a pretty large expense to add (just recently did it), but have you thought about converting to a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG)? This produces chlorine as the pump runs and it makes the addition of bleach virtually non existent.

Just bring your CYA up to 70 and let'r rip (so to speak).

I'm not familiar with a SWG and their processes.

Does this mean convert my pool to a "salt water pool"? If so, I'm not interested in that.

I'm sure people have good luck with theirs. I have only seen problems with my parents and other friends.

As someone who also has a jam packed life at times, and has tried the trichlor pucks. I honestly think you are better off just over-chlorinating the pool prior to times you know you won't get to it. I tried the pucks as a test, and they didn't add nearly enough chlorine or acid for my pool. You can read about my experience in more detail

My-Experience-with-Floater-Pucks

If you have a feel for how much chlorine is consumed per day, then you can just over-chlorinate based on usage x number of days. I would probably limit it to two or three days. Then check chlorine and acid, and repeat. Most people can fit in testing and adding chemicals twice a week. Also if you run your CYA on the high side, the chlorine won't deplete as fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.