Chlorine Tab dispensing

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
I always use liquid chlorine (per TFP) except when on vacation. Then I use the floating dispenser with 3" tablets (and closely monitor my CYA). However, the dispensers seem too slow. I even use two floaters for a 26K gallon pool and they hardly keep up with demand. Any suggestion for faster dispensing when using the floaters??

Last edited:
Some floaters have adjustable vanes to let in more or less water. If yours do, open them all the way. If they don't have such vanes, maybe drill some holes in the floaters to get better flow.

I have been searching, and I thought it a great business opportunity, for someone to offer service only when on vacation. I would pay many times the usual 1 month rate myself for this service, but haven't found anyone yet :)

I have been searching, and I thought it a great business opportunity, for someone to offer service only when on vacation. I would pay many times the usual 1 month rate myself for this service, but haven't found anyone yet :)
That's a great idea! Sadly, Saratoga is a bit too much of a drive from here. I know we have members in Santa Clara county, though...

SWG is really the best option. If that's off the table, then a Stenner Pump would be another option. You could get a pump for under $300 and DIY the tank. If you only use while on vacations, you'll get several years of use out of it.

If you're really comfortable using tablets and rising CYA is not an issue, you could use a 5-gallon bucket with a lid and drill several holes around the side and top. Add some weight to it and you can hang it near a return. Or, add some foam to the lid and make your own floater out of the bucket. I've never seen it done, but it would be fun to see.

Probably a stupid idea, but outside of using more floaters, I'm out of ideas.

Best of luck!

Tie the floater near a return. When the pump runs, the floater will typically get picked up in the water stream, which will dissolve the tablets quicker.

OK thanks, but question on chlorine feeders like Stenner Pump. I have been told to not put pucks in skimmer due to build up when pump is off then sudden release. Wouldn't these pumps have the same issue (of course I know very little about these pumps)

A Stenner pump is a small chemical dosing pump. They actually never touch the chemical. They use rollers on the tube carrying the chemical to push it through the tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm, trying to visualize. I cannot find a good picture of a Stenner Pump , but other feeders look like they are large tanks to hold tablets than have and in/out tube for the water, with dial control for concentration. Sam idea? soem or only about $100, but is Stenner better?

Yes anchoring the floater in front of a return and opening up the cage speeds up decomposition but a warmer water temp seems to be a bigger factor. SWG is the best tech solution.

That is a viable option, though usually one chosen by people that already have an inline chlorinator and are trying to save money. Remember that dissolving the pucks faster will increase the CYA faster as well (compared to the slow increase you are seeing with the floaters).

I definitely second the idea of a SWG or Stenner pump. SWG is higher upfront cost but pays for itself in decreased LC use. You'll see many on the forum saying Salt water chlorine generators let them vacation with peace of mind that the pool won't be a swamp when they get back.

Worried about salt levels? My salt was already 1/3 of the way there when I converted. $70 in salt later and I was at the appropriate level (less than 10% sea water levels). No one that has been in my pool can tell the difference in salinity.

Tabs are acidic, so you would need to monitor pH.

If you have a heater, you would need to add a check valve before the tablet feeder to prevent acidic backflow into the heater. A Jandy check valve runs between $50-$75 if you can find one in stock. I waited about 5 weeks before cancelling my order back in late March.

You would need to run some tests to calibrate the chlorinator dispensing rate to meet FC demands.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.